Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Goin' to Florida...

Yeah, full_proof, there's definitely no consensus. Do you know how freaking overjoyed I'd be, for instance, to find Rittenhouse BIB on a local shelf? Or AAA 10-star, which at one time got sent here and now is only available as a very rare dusty?

As for smokinjoe's technique, I'm in absolute agreement, right down to the incredulous self-questioning in the car. The question is even more appropriate when no dusties are found and you've had to avoid three guys who are trying to make you pay for parking in an otherwise vacant, untended lot that has never seen more than three cars at once.

That said, I've been known to get stupid and go in shirt and tie after work on Friday (yep, just about the time the crazies go out in full force). But my height and the man-on-a-mission look have done the trick so far...and I'm always pulling out of the last lot before dark.

Taster

This is all good info. I'm now a man on a mission. I guess if they have the Fighting Cock I'll snatch (ha ha cock & snatch in same sentence) up a bottle of it. Never seen it up here. Thanks!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I have never had bad experiences (other not finding anything - lots of those) and I've hunted in some dicey areas in many, many cities. Like in anything, you have to use common sense and keep alert. What I do, and I find it seems to put people at ease, is say I collect bottles which have red or green stamps on them (which is true in effect). Many owners remember those from years ago. This seems to make sense to people and sometimes I get tips, a guy will say, George across the street, he has a lot of those. But those comments about Florida were somewhat sobering, sounds like its urban badlands are especially bad and special precautions are in order.

Gary

Advanced Taster

I'd say it would be a good rule to NEVER wear a lavender shirt regardless of brand name!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by full_proof View Post
    Great answer and technique, Joe. I've also found that looking the part (unshaven and dressed down) and bringing a wingman helps--there is strength in numbers. Going into an ill-kept liquor store solo, clean shaven and in a lavender Brooks Brothers polo shirt is not a good idea, unless you enjoy overwhelming popularity among the filthy and wretched locals.

Is it me, or is there a lack of consensus of what bourbonites here consider what "is generally available," and what is "a dusty"?
    Unshaven and dressed down. Most definitely. And to this I might add if you wear contacts or glasses wear your contacts and a pair of cheap sunglasses, preferably reflective lenses.

Disciple

I went into a liquor store in a rough area of a nearby town. This town is not at all unfamiliar to me as I have lived in the area all of my life. I walk in to the store to buy some minis and immediately see about 10-12 people, male and female, with t shirts with some sort of spray paint design on them. Immediately the thought of gang members comes to mind. The owner of the store was angry with them and told them to either make there purchases or get out. I went over to one of the isles and picked up a bottle of very cheap blended whiskey and got in line, totally acting business like and not appearing afraid. A guy got in line behind me and tapped me on the shoulder. When I turned around, he held up a bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin and proceeded to ask me if it was any good. In a very cordial manner I replied that it was top shelf and in fact it was so good that I had to give up drinking it. Everybody in the group sort of chuckled and the chaotic situation quicky ended. They left the store after purchasing most of the 750's of Sapphire on the shelf. After the group left, I told the store owner which minis I wanted (they were behind the counter) and after he rang up the minis, he motioned for the 750 of blended whiskey still in my hand. I had completely forgotten about it and started to laugh. The clerk asked what was so funny. I told him I didn't want to purchase the bottle, I only picked it up as a backup in case I needed to use it for self defense. the owner laughed and complimented me on my quick thinking, for not choosing a bottle of single malt scotch and for the slick sales pitch I gave that crowd that helped move them on there way. Now, each time I go to that store, I stick my head into the room with the hard liquor, look both ways and immediately get a big laugh from the owner. He has now become one of my top local sources for minis and a good friend. Even a familiar rough area can be a problem if your not careful. That day, the parking lot was empty but the store was still full of people. Never under estimate the area your in!

Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasH; 03-08-2007 at 06:30.

Enthusiast

Great answer and technique, Joe. I've also found that looking the part (unshaven and dressed down) and bringing a wingman helps--there is strength in numbers. Going into an ill-kept liquor store solo, clean shaven and in a lavender Brooks Brothers polo shirt is not a good idea, unless you enjoy overwhelming popularity among the filthy and wretched locals.

Is it me, or is there a lack of consensus of what bourbonites here consider what "is generally available," and what is "a dusty"?
    Most of the time I am on business and that means a suit and tie. I get harassed more dressed down than dressed up and I spend alot of time in those types of neighborhoods. That may just be a regional difference and ymmv.
    Joel

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    I'd say it would be a good rule to NEVER wear a lavender shirt regardless of brand name!
    Or lavender anything, brother. I was on a fishing charter in the Gulf of Mexico and another fisherman, and I use the word "fisherman" loosely, was wearing a lavender baseball cap. The captain of the boat ragged that poor (|) mercilessly the whole time we were out to sea. At one point I thought the gent was going to jump overboard to the sharks. I couldn't believe the captain was treating a paying customer like that, but, hey, he was the captain, and we were on his boat. Any questions?
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Enthusiast

a lavender Brooks Brothers polo shirt is not a good idea
    Is a dusty rose Brooks Brothers polo shirt OK then?

I've had some luck being a little friendly with the clerk, at least if he speaks English. Sometimes they actually find it to be an interesting break from their routine.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JeffRenner View Post
    Is a dusty rose Brooks Brothers polo shirt OK then?

I've had some luck being a little friendly with the clerk, at least if he speaks English. Sometimes they actually find it to be an interesting break from their routine.

Jeff
    Nooooo! Dusty rose is just metrosexual pink!
    Repeat after me...
    Girly colors are for girls...