Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Which bourbons to bring from US?

Hello! This is my first post here. I'm an American married to a Brit. We live in the UK and my husband works in the Scotch whisky industry. (He has made me promise to never talk on the Internet about him or what he does, so I won't go any further than that and I'll have to remain vague about where we are.) Anyway, maybe it's just me being perverse, but now that I can practically bath in single malts if I so choose, I really, really miss bourbon.

I was never a big drinker of it. Honestly, I just liked Jim Beam and coke, and maybe would sip some Knob Creek or Maker's Mark once in a while. Here where I live, it's pretty rural/remote and the only bourbon sold locally is Jim Beam. It sits on the shelf next to JD and SoCo, if you kwim.

In 1999, a girl I knew went to visit a distilleries in KY and she brought back some Woodford Reserve. I don't remember anything else about it, other than the fact that she said it could only be bought there. Anyway, prior to that, I'd always thought that "Whiskey/Whisky" all tasted like Jack Daniels and was NASTY. This stuff she brought back was magical. It seemed to just evaporate in my mouth and made a lovely warm glow all the way down my gullet and there wasn't anything, you know, *shuddery* about it the way I thought whiskey tasted. Since then, I did develop a bit of a taste for bourbon. Now that I can't get it, and now that I literally have a dozen bottles of really good scotch at my disposal, I want bourbon!

OK... my father is coming to visit me in a few weeks. He's agreed to pick me up a couple of bottles before coming over. He lives in Cincinnati. I have a couple of questions.

First, is bourbon much cheaper if you cross the Ohio River into Northern Kentucky? I could send him to The Party Source or any other of the big liquor stores that lie just over the river.

Second: I'm looking at spending about $60 (£30). I'd like to get three bottles, which means spending an average of $20 apiece. My dad may not want to carry that much in his suitcase, though.

I know it's not a bourbon, but I love Dickel's. I got a couple of wee bottles from my husband (who got them at work) and I adore the stuff. What else should I ask him to get me? Is that too open-ended a question? I like bourbon that is sweet and smooth and doesn't have much after-taste. I also got a small bottle of Rebel Yell with my Dickle and I didn't like it at all. And, I have two bottles of Rowan Creek that I don't care for. (Honestly, I'm going to be mixing it with Coke instead of Jim Beam in the future.) I am thinking of asking for either Knob Creek or Maker's Mark, and I want to try a Wild Turkey. Are those available for $20 or less?

Thank you for your patience and help in this matter.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Which bourbons to bring from US?

Welcome!

It may require a bit of shopping, but you might be able to get those three for an average of $20/each. And yes it is likely that they will be cheaper in Kentucky than in Ohio.

If you are interested there is a great place in London called the Whisky Exchange that carries a wonderful selection of American whiskies (though they are about twice the price they are in the U.S., but such is most anything else that is imported there).

As a bit of an aside, once when talking with the Brown-Forman folks, who own both Woodford and Jack Daniels, they said that anyplace you can get Jack, you can get Woodford, while this may be a bit of an exaggeration, it may be worth asking you local store if they can get some in for you. The same may be true for Knob Creek, since you can get Jim Beam.

Also if your husband can bring home Dickel for you, he may be able to bring home some Bulliett or I.W.Harper since all are Diageo brands.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Welcome to the forum. If you live in the UK take a look at this site.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/

They are in the UK and have a nice collection of American whiskies (mostly bourbon).

I am darn sure they ship within the UK no problem!

Yes, we know about the Whisky Exchange.... the guy who runs that business is an acquaintance. We were looking at his selection, but the prices are so high! I'm hoping to get maybe three bottles for about £30. That's about as much money as I can really justify spending on something like this. (Especially since we are practically awash in whisky here and it just seems so frivolous to buy more!)

The whisky I'm looking to get would be bought by my father at a store in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. I was just wondering what the average retail prices for Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, and Wild Turkey are, or if there are any that you would recommend for about $20 or so?

Disciple

Try a bottle of Elmer T Lee. It is around 20.00-22.00 and is a sweeter brand of bourbon. Wild Turkey is also another brand at about 20.00 a bottle. You are very lucky to have family living in Cinncinati. The bourbon supermarkets are just across the State line!

Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasH; 03-06-2007 at 16:45.

Quote Originally Posted by YankinUK View Post
    ...I like bourbon that is sweet and smooth and doesn't have much after-taste...
    In your desired price range also is W.L. Weller -- either the 7yo Special Reserve or the 12yo bottling -- both of which I think reasonably fit your taste description.
    Tim

Connoisseur

Eagle Rare Single barrel or Elmer T Lee are my recommendations

Guru

If you like Dickel, try a bottle of Dickel Barrel Select ---- it's fantastic.

I'd also second the vote for Elmer T. Lee.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    In your desired price range also is W.L. Weller -- either the 7yo Special Reserve or the 12yo bottling -- both of which I think reasonably fit your taste description.
    I'll second that, I wish WL Weller 12yr was available in MI.

Disciple

In the up to 20-buck division I would suggest WT 101 and Old Forester 100 proof of 2 reasons. They are both good whiskey and they are available in plastic bottles with plastic screw cap.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey