Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Howdy All

Advanced Taster

Howdy All

Another rookie here that has become addicted to the dark amber nectar we call whiskey. Although bourbon is indeed my favorite I've also found scotchs, ryes, Canadians, and other whiskeys that I enjoy. After lurking on these forums for a while and reading the wealth of fantastic old posts I've started my collection and am trying to keep from having too many open bottles!

Right now the count of open bottles stands at around 15, and by far and away the best has been Pappy van Winkle 20. While I am mostly a bourbon on the rocks type, this was the first bourbon that I *wanted* to drink neat! I recently found a bottle of pappy 15 and was quite eager to try it after hearing the good reviews on here and also after having the good experience with the pappy 20. It didn't taste anything like I thought it would! For me it had a great deal of spicy kick with some burn going down. I've also got a bottle of the VWFR lot B and find it fantastic however. Maybe I am still too sensitive to proof? Maybe I am confusing "spice" with "burn" and/or proof?

The one that got me started was picking up a bottle of Evan Williams SB 1996 early last year. Wow! So this is what bourbon is all about! I've also been saving my pennies and was able to purchase the 06 BTAC and have so far cracked open all of them except for the Handy. Another surprise was not really liking the William Larue Weller 2006. Anyway I look forward to joining you all on the forums and I hope you enjoy my rookie's rankings:

Outstanding:
    Pappy 20
    Sazerac 06
    Stagg 06

Great:
    Evan Williams SB 1996
    Buffalo Trace
    VWFR lot B
    Eagle Rare 06
    George Dickel #12
    Wild Turkey 101 Rye
    Talisker 10 yr

Good:
    Pappy 15
    Baby Sazerac
    William Larue Weller 2006
    Evan Williams SB 1995
    Wild Turkey 101
    Bulleit
    Makers Mark
    Rebel Yell

Re: Howdy All

Welcome. Glad to see a decent mix of price points among your bottlings.
    Lesson #1 ought to be, but seldom is, that there are many very enjoyable bourbons in the bargain and moderate price ranges. That's not, of course, to say that the Pappy 20s don't also offer their enjoyments.
    Tim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    I've also been saving my pennies and was able to purchase the 06 BTAC and have so far cracked open all of them except for the Handy.
    Welcome aboard! If you liked the Saz 18, you'll love the Handy - it's a knock-it-out-of-the-park home run.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    ...Another surprise was not really liking the William Larue Weller 2006...
    Send me the WLW. I'll be happy to dispose of it properly for you.

Jeff

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the Welcomes guys.

TNbourbon - I completely agree about some of the less expensive bourbons. I can usually get the EWSB for the low 20s and the Buffalo Trace for the high teens and find both to be fantastic values at those prices.

JDutton - I figured someone would make that offer! I will have to decline for now though! Maybe my wording was a little harsh, because by no means do I find it to be bad, just not my favorite.