Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Evan Williams: A Bourbon that's Charcoal-Filtered?

Hello All!

This is my first post, and I joined the site with a very specific question in mind. As a bourbon lover who's long on enthusiasm but short on cash, I'm always looking for a good bottle at an even better price. I recently switched from Jim Beam White Label to Evan Williams, which is cheaper here in Chicago. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I like it as much, if not more than, Jim Beam White!

One thing I don't understand, however, is that Evan Williams is a charcoal-filtered bourbon. I always thought that charcoal filtering is what distinguishes Tennessee whiskey from bourbon.

Maybe this question was already answered in some thread that I just can't find...

Thanks!

Guru

Re: Evan Williams: A Bourbon that's Charcoal-Filtered?

Welcome robrent.

the explanation can be found here http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=6835

In short it is a different kind of charcoal filtration, activated charcoal. Done just before to bottling.

Enthusiast

Don't be afraid to try some Old Grand Dad. You can get the 100 proof BIB for less money than Jim Beam. Good deal since I think it's twice as good.

Chris

Cool! Thanks a lot for the info. Now I can have a drink without all the preoccupation in my mind.

Maybe I'll continue posting on the other thread once I've had a look.

I don't think I've tried Grand Old Dad, either, so I'll have to give that a shot.

I also think some of the Old Weller's are of excellent quality for the price. I recently tried Evan Williams Single Barrel for the first time. Really a steal considering what a magnificent bourbon it is (albeit at a much higher price than Evan Williams)!

-Rob