Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Buck Chuck

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Two Buck Chuck

Some time ago I read about a wine called Two Buck Chuck and that it was something of a "phenomenon". The name of course is funny and I am wondering if anybody knows anything about this wine. What is the background, is it still available and - is it any good?

(Potential sub-thread: what is the bourbon equivalent?).

Gary

Enthusiast

Re: Two Buck Chuck

It's the wine sold at Trader Joe's. I've never had it though.
    Joe

Administrator in exile

Two-Buck Chuck is the slang name for a Trader Joe's brand called "Charles Shaw." It is a Bronco wine, which means it is made from bulk juice bought on the secondary market. Depending on the year, this can be an acceptable wine, but lately it hasn't been to my liking at all. It gets its name from its $1.99 price per bottle in California, though it's about $3.99 at the Trader Joe's in Cincinnati, and over-priced at that IMHO.

Know one knows exactly where the juice is sourced from, and it changes all the time. Very similar to the bottler-brand bourbons we have been discussing lately.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks guys, I didn't know the name was a slang term, I thought it was on the label!

Gary

Guru

The nickname is appropriate... you get exactly what you pay for.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

I tasted the Charles Shaw Cabernet once, imported by a newcomer to our area (nearest Trader Joe's are in St. Louis or Cincinnati). I found it quite similar to a Lodi label -- Leaping Horse -- which we sell in the store for 2/$10. It was, I thought, a very good value for its price -- not a $20-a-bottle taste, but not anywhere near $20 a bottle, either.
    Tim

Guru

At its inception this wine benefitted from various urban legends that allegedly explained its high enjoyment-to-price ratio.

The most popular was that it was a special crush on behalf of an airline that went out of business before the bottling began.

I think the appeal of benefitting from others' misfortune added to some buyers' enjoyment of what was then a very drinkable, if not distinguished, wine.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Two Buck Chuck could be thought of as the level above Boone's Farm, Wild Irish Rose, and Mad Dog 20/20, perhaps to some palates better even than Paul Masson, Inglenook, and Almaden but definitely a bottom shelf bottle.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Trader Joe's has made it's way to Atlanta, and the 2-Buck Chuck frenzy is in full swing. I've tried the syrah, and it tastes...like....wine. But, I am not a wine expert, so I can't say where on the quality continuum it falls.
    It is selling between $2.30 and $2.50 per bottle. Interestingly enough, there are a few package stores that are selling it cheaper than Trader Joe's. The liquor laws in Georgia do not allow exclusives on products, therefore any licensed establishment can carry it. Some Kroger and Publix supermarkets are also carrying it. My local package store is selling it at or below cost (he claims), just to defend his bottom shelf market.

Regardless of the wine, the store is pretty cool.

JOE

Very ironic as I was just discussing this exact wine while helping to move an ex-coworker with said ex-coworker's sister-in-law. I think it essentially has most to do with the general state of alcohol consumption in this country in that most people wouldn't know the good shit if it beat them over the head!

When I used to shop at Trader Joe's regularly I'd always laugh at the people getting into there Lexus/benz/BMW SUV with a case or several bottles of this cheap wine. I did try it myself on a couple of occasions and found it drinkable, not good by any means, but drinkable. Now I am no wine cono. but know what tastes good to me and honestly found that for just a couple of dollars more I could get something on sale at any given day from the regular grocery that would taste much better. So what I came to surmise in my own mind was that either these affluent people pawn this off on guests, are too cheap to spend money on decent booze, or just plain and simple don't know any better; the last of which is pretty hard to believe...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"