Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheers!

Novice

Cheers!

Hello. I've just begun to develop an interest in fine whiskies and can't believe what I've been missing. Not having much experience with Bourbon, I bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve, on the suggestion of a friend, and love it's complexity.

I look forward to exploring the world of Bourbons and would love any advice you all might have for a beginner.

Thanks,
    Patch

Novice

Re: Cheers!

Welcome Patch!!!

Connoisseur

Welcome Patch. First: Add your location to your profile so folks can see where you’re from. They will steer you to nice bottles in your area and be able to recommend bottles available in your market.
    Second: Clear off some shelf room! There are so many wonderful Bourbons out there your going to need some extra room!

Todd

Novice

Thanks for the tips. I live in West Michigan, and have plenty of shelf space.

Welcome Patch!
    Glad to see you're already making room!!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I live in West Michigan, and have plenty of shelf space.
    Very good...let the stockpiling and sampling begin...

Todd

Guru

Welcome Patch.

Here's what is available in Michigan:

http://www.cis.state.mi.us/lcc_code/sr_lcc.asp

As you should know liquor stores are allowed to charge more but not less than the state price and dusty bottles of discontinued or older products are hard to find.

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Cheers!

Welcome to SB.com, Patch. We will do our best to make you feel welcome, here.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Novice

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
    I especially appreciate the link to the MI State price list. I've been looking for something like that, but didn't know it existed.

I'm enjoying my bottle of Woodford Reserve, but I don't have much to compare it to. Any suggestions for what to try next?

Patch

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I like Woodford a lot, but it's not exactly a "standard" bourbon. You might want to try one of those, such as any expression of Wild Turkey, Old Forester, or Evan Williams. It's good to have that as a baseline.

For contrast, then, you should try a wheated bourbon like Maker's Mark, Old Fitzgerald or W. L. Weller.

Woodford competes in a segment of premium bourbons priced at $20 to $30 a bottle. Some of the others in that segment are Knob Creek, Bulleit, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, and Eagle Rare Single Barrel (the 10 year old, not the 17).
    Last edited by cowdery; 03-12-2007 at 18:21.