Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Taster

Re: Is There an Anejo Rum Style?

As said I think anejo doesn't necessarily mean a great deal of age. What I am wondering if Gary might have been refering to was the "solera" process as opposed to the term "anejo".

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

No, I meant anejo. I meant, not that the term may denote a given age or range, but simply a taste.

Gary

Apprentice

I think that Anejo from a certain producer has some meaning in that it is older than some of their own bottlings or to denote a point in their own bottlings range but overall as I said it is a slippery term as there is only Anejo and/or a specific age statement (or even a vintage/production year) past a certain point of aging.There are no recognized older designations (example Cognacs VS, VSOP, XO designations).
    The Pleasures of Exile are Imperfect at Best, At Worst They Rot the Liver

Apprentice

As to an Anejo taste, I think it is more an expectation, again within a certain producers line, that a anejo would be more mellow, delicate and show a aged taste profile than their younger siblings again think of Cognac or Armagnac from a certain producer and how their various expressions compare to each other, and how the differnt producers have different flavor profiles (Hennesy vs Courvosier,Martell etc.,)

Apprentice

As to national styles,I certainly think so although there is a certain amount of cross pollenation as it were, plus what we get in the states is for the most part made with us in mind and OUR flavor profile (read what would sell).
    There is also the question of what the rum is made from.A number of areas only use one type of production or are noted for that type of production(Rhum Agricole or Rhum Industriel to use the french terms) Each process yields a very different type of rum.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

While not addressing Gary's question directly......Havana Club has both an Anejo bottling and a 7yo bottling. This implies, at least for Havana Club, that their "Anejo" has a stylistic difference from its other bottlings. I was down in the Caymans and saw numerous "anejo" bottlings but only tried the Havana Club.

BTW, the couples staying next to us would join Val and I every night for a "cigar and rum" hour after dinner. We tried aver 9 different aged rums during the trip and several cuban cigars. The highlight of the rums tasted was the Zacapa Centenario 23 yo (they also produce other ages in the Centenario line). The lowlight was a Barbancourt 15yo......it didn't standup to the cigars (or our expectations) which was a real dissapointment considering it was bottled at 86 proof. The Havana Club 7yo has to get a "best buy" rating as it was very good with that nice "juicy fruit" flavor and priced at $14. Good neat or in a Cuba Libre. Favorite cigar was the Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona......not as strong as many cubans but worked well with the rums.

Randy

Sounds good, Randy. I actually prefer the anejo of Havana Club neat to the 7 year version, but I could see the latter would go well with a cigar.

Barbancourt has somewhat disappointed me too. I like the younger expressions simply because it is somewhat delicate to begin with and too much age removes a lot of the character. The 8 year old rum is still a good dram. I believe I read on the brand's site that its distilling out proof is over 190 (or in that range), which may explain the mild character.

Gary

Taster

Gary,

I'd have to say no - there isn't really a discernable characteristic in the term "anejo". I think anejo tequilas tend to have a heavier more noticeable oak punch than repasados or silvers of the same brand. I assume Rums would too in that comparison but for some reason on limited experience, I've found tequlia (generalization) by terminology "anejo" to have more in common by differing brands than the term playing a role in rums.

That thought might be a poor comparison as there appear to be quite a bit more tequilas with the term anejo attached to them.

Randy, not surprising at all about Barbancourt. Many seem to feel the 15 is too unassertive. I notice that a lot of rums around the 15 year mark are softer and less "rummy" than their 12 year or younger sibblings. Another great example is the rum El Dorado. The 12 year is much richer than the 15 year old.

What I honestly think is missing in rums is at that age, with the better rums that could stand up to it, I'm guessing those might live up to more expectations if they were run up to 90 at least. Most of what's available to me is 40%, no matter the age.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

For Tequila, anejo has a specific meaning, controlled by the authority that regulates all things Tequila. Since rum is produced in so many different countries there is no consistency to how terms are used and certainly no regulation. On a rum label, "anejo" is just a word that, at best, means the spirit has spent some time in oak.

Well, based on tasting 3 rum anejos, they seem to denote a kind of cocoa-like taste. The Havana Club anejo has more in common with the two others I tried (from different countries) than with Havana Club aged 7 years, to put it another way.

But this is a small sample. I will keep trying.

Gary