Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Is There an Anejo Rum Style?

I think the choice to use the word "anejo" mostly has to do with whether or not the producing country is Spanish-speaking. Appleton V/X, for example, is classified by BarMedia as an anejo rum, but Appleton--from English-speaking Jamaica--doesn't use that term on the label.

As with Tequilas, the term seems to be applied to the older aged spirits, more than 8 years.

Style differences in rums seem most apparent when you sample the different language groups, i.e., Spanish, French and English.

So, if the question is, is there among long-aged rums a specific style that uses the term anejo, I have to say the answer is no. BarMedia, for example, uses the term generically to apply to any long-aged and, therefore, snifter-worthy rums, regardless of whether or not the word "anejo" appears on the label.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Frodo kindly gave me some samples of malt whisky and rum plus a bottle of Alberta Springs 25 year old Canadian whisky. (I will deliver the superannuated Alberta Springs to Tim Sousley in Chicago together with a bottle of the fine, Maryland rye-like Three Grain from Kittling Ridge).

The rum is a Brugal Extra Viejo (extra old) which possibly is in the anejo style even if not so-labelled. He said no age statement is on the bottle. This is rum from Dominican Republic. A version of Brugal is available here but the EV was sourced outside Canada.

I find it very good indeed. It is, first, rainwater soft, a trait I much admire in any distilled drink. Second, it has a fine flavor, well-aged with oak wood in evidence but with the rum esters still showing through. Dry and elegant, a rum to ponder and linger over.

This is for the setting sun or later in the evening when a coolness pervades the air.

Thanks again Frodo for this, I'll review over the next little while the other samples you gave me.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 03-31-2007 at 17:41.

Connoisseur

For a tequila to be considered an anejo is must be aged for at least one year. Many anejo tequilas today are aged 3+ years. It seems there is also an extra aged category emerging of 5+ years as well, although its not an official term...yet.

Enthusiast

I`m not into rum but there is a site called www.therumportal.com perhaps they can help you.Good luck! mier.

Connoisseur

This is also a great rum webpage. http://www.ministryofrum.com/