Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Try the expensive stuff and find you like cheap stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
    Anyone else do the same thing?
    Sure. WT101 is one of my "everyday pours" as the term is commonly used on SB.com (one of the benefits of participating on this blog is new language skills ). You've sampled quite a variety, but I did not spot a straight rye bourbon (the wheaters you've tried, in my neophyte estimation, are PVW15 and MM). I've enjoyed WT Rye and have a new and unopened VWFRR that wasn't too costly, and I'm looking forward to tasting it. In developing my own collection, despite all the reading, research and contemplation about a particular bottling, there's just no way to place value on something until one has sampled it. I guess that's part of the fun (and frustration) of this hobby.
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I'm a gin drinker but have always drank the cheep stuff since I was mixing it (Gilbeys Gin).

I'm new to Bourbon and drinking in general. I drink a lot of Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey with diet coke and want to learn to appreciate some finer Whiskey's. Could you make some recommendations as to which is the best Bourbon to start with as I have not yet acquired a taste for it?

I have recently went through a bunch of Jim Beam white label mixed in cocktails and with water but am wanting something a bit more upscale as I learn to appreciate Bourbon.

I guess the only criteria is that I have a hard time with the strong stuff that "burns" going down. I have searched but have not found an answer to this question.
    Thanks for all the information guys. I do have a question though, did you guys like bourbon from the first time you drank it or did you acquire a taste for it? I have tried to drink it neat but I can say that it isn't something I really enjoy right now. Will this change as I drink more bourbon?
    That's my problem, I'm 40 years old and tired of ordering/asking for a fruity mixed drink every time I get a drink. I am wanting my drink palate to catch up to my age. I will continue to try new bourbons and learn from this site.
    LBTRS,

It is my opinion that you've been sampling bourbon for a whopping two months now and your history of enjoying the "cheap stuff" mixed with the "sweat stuff" is clouding your ability to enjoy good bourbon for what it is.

You're trying to hard.....and I don't think you're appreciating each different bourbon for what it brings to the palate.

Dawn

Advanced Taster

I woudnt say that I like it better than the expensive stuff, but WT 101, and WL Antique 107, are everyday pours that I like better than a lot of stuff that I have spent twice as much on, and not like as much....

Guru

Cool Re: Try the expensive stuff and find you like cheap stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    While I more often than not drink from the more expensive end of the spectrum, I often find my self coming back to good old WT 101.
    I most often drink from the lower priced end (WT 101, ETL), but I do have a preference for the more expensive ones (RHF, Blanton's, Rare Breed, Ky Spirit). I try to save the most expensive ones for special occasions, which may include "just because I feel like it".

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

"Just because I feel like it" may be the most special occasion of them all...treating yourself or the ones you love without a Hallmark approved reason is the ultimate.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post

You're trying to hard.....and I don't think you're appreciating each different bourbon for what it brings to the palate.

Dawn
    Listen to Dawn, my young Padawan, she's a Jedi Knight of Bourbon and a nurse practitioner. Drink plenty varieties of the corn-based firewater, LBTRS, and some day you will become a Jedi Master of the burning spirits.
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

A suggestion I have for those new to bourbon is to try to determine what it is supposed to taste like. If you have an idea in advance, this may help you see what bourbon, and the different brands, ages, etc., are all about. This doesn't mean you will enjoy it (and if you don't, that's okay - relatively few people like bourbon, even mixed) but it may help you understand the basic flavor, or "palate".

This is something we talk a lot about here: in general; in relation to the bourbons of one company; and as between different brands.

In general, I would say bourbon has a sweetish, grainy taste with a flavor in the background of toasted or charred oak wood. The corn flavors come through, and for bourbons made with an addition of rye, there is a spicy, minty note as well. (On top of that, some bourbons have a fruity taste which can come from the way it is aged). Some people sum this up by talking about a lightly smoky, candy corn and spice taste.

Some bourbons are high in alcohol (Crown Royal is a standard 40% alcohol by volume, some bourbons reach 50% or higher) so an alcohol aftertaste is a feature of a lot of bourbon. It can be moderated by adding more ice or water or mix - or using less whiskey.

Some people never come to terms with it and again that's fine, but I found in my own case I could "get" bourbon more when I read up on it before sampling different brands and expressions.

There's lots of great info on this board about all that.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 03-13-2007 at 08:13.

Taster

This thread is making me thirsty!

Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
    LBTRS,

It is my opinion that you've been sampling bourbon for a whopping two months now and your history of enjoying the "cheap stuff" mixed with the "sweat stuff" is clouding your ability to enjoy good bourbon for what it is.

Dawn
    Dawn,

Thanks for the recap...as you noted I'm new to "bourbon" and hence my question about how others feel about the cheaper brands. I've spent a lot of money trying to discover what I like and find I can always count on WT 101 or Buffalo Trace to make me happy.

Trying too hard? I'm drinking bourbon and talking about it in a forum called straightbourbon.com. Maybe I need to find another place to discuss bourbon?

Thanks to all for the input and discussion.

Advanced Taster

Trying too hard? I'm drinking bourbon and talking about it in a forum called straightbourbon.com. Maybe I need to find another place to discuss bourbon?

Thanks to all for the input and discussion.
    Whoa, there. Don't leave me to fend alone with the neglect and insults here! There's much to learn, and you appear to be well on your way to developing an appreciation for bourbon--it is, our course, an acquired taste. Keep in mind there are seasoned bourbon consumers here, some industry experts, and professionals (lawyers, nurse practitioners, computer programmers, etc.). I think Dawn, without malice, was just ribbing you a bit. Hell, she's told me, in uncertain terms, in a chat room that I'm a smart-(|). Take a deep breath and and drink.
    Murf