Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster

Re: Ken. Spirit Vs. Blanton's

Here's my take:

Kentucky Spirit > Blantons

But I think a better comparison would be Kentucky Spirit & Rock Hill Farms, in which case:

Rock Hill Farms > Kentucky Spirit > Blantons

All based on the 1 bottle of each that I've had, so YMMV
    Chris/Oregon

Guru

Post Re: Ken. Spirit Vs. Blanton's

Hmmm, I love them both.

While I definitely see the point that Kentucky Spirit is richer, I think I give a slight nod to Blanton's for its elegance and flavor. I detect earthy or musty notes in Kentucky Spirit that are somewhat off-putting. I detect light, citrusy notes in Blanton's that are delightful.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Love 'em both... Blanton's for the citrusy notes and delightfully dry finish. Spirit fot the no-nonsense, straight-forward "rye-ness".
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Had you asked me 2-3 years ago, I would have chuckled a bit and claimed Blanton's. It was the best whisky I had encountered.

Today, it is a close call, but WTKS takes a bow mostly due to the higher proof.

I hope that BT and WT continue to market Single Barrel expressions for the debate to continue.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Several months ago, a few buddies and I did a blind test with these 2 bourbon's. Each of us chose the Blanton's. The Blanton's was smoother and we all thought the Kentucky Spirit was a little rough with the first sip. The higher proof was very evident.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

I picked up a bottle of Kentucky Spirit. WOW, it's great. The nose is spectacular. The tase builds from smooth to complex, no doubt that there's more Rye influence, with streaks of corn (of course) and a tobacco-oaky spice finish. Just Great. I will eventually try Blanton's, and I'm sure I'll appreciate it also! Thanks, everyone.

Advanced Taster

That's a tough one for me, but I'd say WTKS wins by a nose only because I enjoy higher rye content bourbons. Blanton's is a great pour I always have an open bottle in my cabinet.
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.