Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

First Impression of Old Overholt

I just recently bought my first bottle of Old Overholt Rye whiskey. I was expecting something harsh, with a very strong alcohol burn, the kind that you feel in your nose when drinking it. It was $15.99 after tax here in Central NY.

I took a sip from the bottle, and noticed it taste and felt pretty much like bourbon, but the finish on it is kind of cinnamon-y and very full. It makes bourbon seem as if its finish is lacking something, what, I do not know. Its actually easier for me to drink OO than the other bourbons I've tried. Its very tame for a 4yo whiskey IMO. I think I'm hooked!

Sorry for the short description, I will provide a more complete tasting report when I find the time.

So, what's y'alls opinion on this fine whiskey?

Eric

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: First Impression of Old Overholt

"It makes bourbon seem as if its finish is lacking something, what, I do not know.".

I think in fact this is the rye, it seems to add a length and "fullness" to whiskey. Some bourbons that are rye-accented have a fullness very similar to good rye whiskey, e.g., the Heaven Hill brands, Bulleit, and others.

Gary

Enthusiast

I did not particularly care for Old Overholt. Not that it was bad but it just wasn't strong enough.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

It needs to be introduced in 100 proof. That was its traditional strength. The fact that it isn't makes me a little wary about big companies - not all, some of them. I think it is great to see a "natural" package like KC's but the whiskey should be as natural as possible, too - or at least give the informed consumer the option. KC is alright, but Beam would incur a lot of respect amongst many whiskey fans if it introduced OO in a bonded or 100 proof form.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-23-2007 at 17:22.

Advanced Taster

I agree it should be stronger. I think my next step in this Rye adventure will be Rittenhouse BIB, or maybe the baby Saz, I'm not sure yet. I'm going to the local liquor store tomorrow to see what he can order for me. As long as the price is ok, I might end up with the baby Saz.

Eric

Enthusiast

The Rittenhouse BIB and the Baby Saz are two entirely different beasts. Both are wonderful but really very different. I prefer the Saz Jr. but have had more Rittenhouse BIB because of the fantastic price. I don't think it will stay at that price much longer however.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Advanced Taster

I'll be picking up a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB either tomorrow or Friday. Does Rittenhouse taste more like a rye should? Not that OO is bad, it's just kind of tame and I'd like to try a real rye heavy whiskey at a full 100 proof.

Eric

Connoisseur

Good luck trying to figure out how Rye whiskey should taste. Rye is a wild thing and varies greatly at different ages. I love it at any age, but it has distinctive differences as it ages. And if anybody can explain Saz Jr and it's taste...again one that I love...but so unbelievably different than any other rye.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Connoisseur

I'll put in a plug for the Rittenhouse. The Baby Saz has a LOT of fans, but the earthy flavor profile is not my cup of tea. I have a friend who can't get enough of it, but I prefer the Rittenhouse. Very spicy and holds up very well in cocktails. I agree with those who find the OO too tame. It's definitely the kinder gentler rye. I've had it in old 86 proof bottlings and enjoyed it more. I imagine a 100 proof would be great.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska View Post
    Good luck trying to figure out how Rye whiskey should taste. Rye is a wild thing and varies greatly at different ages. I love it at any age, but it has distinctive differences as it ages. And if anybody can explain Saz Jr and it's taste...again one that I love...but so unbelievably different than any other rye.

I find one of the main taste elements in baby saz very similar to the way the pages of a leather bound book smelled. Not just any book but a specific edition of the collected writings of Poe. Sadly I no longer have it, an old girlfriend stole it along with a lot of other stuff.