Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Bourbon Festivals

I am trying to plan my vacation time for this year and would like to attend the bourbon festival in Bardstown. Would someone be so kind as to let me know where I can find out information as to when it is being held?

Theron

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bourbon Festivals

That would be the third week in September Theron, or the 19th, 20th, & 21st. Do your best to stay in the Bardstown Best Western - The General Nelson Inn. It is within easy walking distance of the lawn at Spaulding Hall where all the good stuff happens.

Please be aware that there may not be a Bourbon Heritage Panel next year nor a Bourbon Auction. Local politics being what they are there are some things that remain to ironed out. The last I heard from 'one-in-the-know' is that these events are up for grabs. Since this person is a forum member I'll let him speak for himself if he's a mind to.{Translation for you Yanks & Europeans - If he wants to talk about it he will}.

What is the URL -<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kybourbonfestival.com>http://www.kybourbonfestival.com</A>?

That ought to do ya Theron!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Novice

Linn,

I've reserved a room at the General Nelson during this year's Bourbon Festival. As far as sightseeing, what would your recommendations be for a first time visitor?

Will you have Straightbourbon tasting at Buffalo Trace agin this year? If so, I'd like to attend.

Also, where is the best place to shop for bourbon to take home (selection, price)?

Bob Kaufman

**DONOTDELETE**

Bob I'm happy to hear you'll be in attendance this year! Alot depends on how much time you're going to have. I strongly suggest you tour Wild Turkey, but they don't do tours on week-ends. Labrot & Graham is a showplace and the tour is good. They're open Saturdays. Maker's Mark is also a nice distillery to visit, and they are open on week-ends. I didn't think much of the tour guide we had.

Buffalo Trace is definitely worth a visit. I'm pretty sure that last year's tasting event was a one time deal. It's hard to tell what Omar may be able to arrange for us this year.

I went to the Liquor Outlet/'Party Source' in Louisville last year. The prices and selection were pretty good. If you spend over $250 you get an additional 5% discount.

Linn Spencer

Connoisseur

Save time for walking around Bardstown, visiting the Oscar Getz Museum, and many other local attractions. To get information try

http://www.bardstowntourism.com/

click "bourbon" -- then scroll down for the "The Bourbon Connoisseur's Guide" - a 3 -day itinerary!

-- Greg

**DONOTDELETE**

Greg as we all know the best part of the Bourbon Festival is the open bar at the Bourbonian Embassy at the General Nelson Inn gazebo. We had as much or more fun there as anyplace else. Remember we need bluesmen and women - so bring your axe!

Linn Spencer

Connoisseur

Bob, Linn and all...

Yep, I'm working on another tasting event for StraightBourbon.com members. Can't give out specifics just yet but it will knock your socks (and pants) off. Check under Distillery Trips in a few short weeks for details.

Glad to hear we may be holding another Gazebo extravaganza at the Best Western. It was a great way to end the evenings. And I hope our fearless leader Jim Butler might join us this time.

Best regards,
    Omar

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

In Bardstown, I like to do my bottle shopping at Toddy's. Their selection and prices are as good as anyone else in town and the store is a local landmark. The longtime proprietor was Toddy Beam, a member of the illustrious Beam family. I also like to hit Keane's for a pound or two of Kentucky Country Ham.

What to see in the Bardstown area depends on what you like. There's a lot of history (Abe Lincoln's birthplace is nearby) and nature (a walk through Bernheim Forest can be delightful) in addition to the distilling sites.

Personally, I am going to hold off making reservations. They haven't been that hard to get and I think there are some real question marks about the 2002 festival. If you do make reservations, make sure they are cancelable with reasonable notice.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

**DONOTDELETE**

PANTS AWAY!

Linn Spencer

The Boss

Omar,
    I certainly intend to be present. The only thing that prevented me from being there September 12th of last year was the fact that it immediately followed September 11th.

Hopefully, we will experience no such distractions this year.

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com