Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Btac 2007

Guru

Btac 2007

Ok, so I've poked around the web and haven't seen any news on the 2007 offering. Anybody here have any insight into what will be offered? I know the Handy was new for 2006....any plans to offer another bottle this year to make 6? Any news on the proofs? I certainly hope the GTS and WLW are as good as they are this year.......

News news news....please!
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

Re: Btac 2007

I think GTS is one of those bourbons that has been good each year of its release. The WLW does seem to vary more from year to year. I can tell you I liked my 05 WLW, but not enought o get the 06. (now of course I regret it based on a previous thread I started) but from this forum alone you can tell the 06 WLW is a lot better (and is why I am trying to get some now). Time will tell it seems.

Still pretty early in the year. My guess is they haven't even identified the barrels yet, though I'm sure they know where appropriately-aged ones are.
    It's generally not dumped/bottled till Fall.
    Tim

I'd like to see them take the eagle rare to barrel proof! Or replace it with something more desirable, I think it is rather obvious it isn't all that sought after, I still regularly see the 2003 and 2005 around and the 06 is everywhere.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Still pretty early in the year. My guess is they haven't even identified the barrels yet, though I'm sure they know where appropriately-aged ones are.
    It's generally not dumped/bottled till Fall.
    Actually, when I was in Kentucky last June/July, they were bottling the GTS. It wasn't released for a couple of months though.

I've had the 2005 WLW, and plan to pick up the 2006 (I found a couple of bottles over the weekend).
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

'06 Stagg began bottling Aug. 29:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...59&postcount=1

The Antique Collection was released Oct. 3, 2006:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...92&postcount=1
    Tim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I'd like to see them take the eagle rare to barrel proof! Or replace it with something more desirable, I think it is rather obvious it isn't all that sought after, I still regularly see the 2003 and 2005 around and the 06 is everywhere.
    Although I can agree with you Chris, this bottle has grown on me. It does not have a place in the BTAC only because it is not on par with the rest of the collection. A barrel proof version makes sense to me. If it is part of the '07 at the same proof I will pass.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    Although I can agree with you Chris, this bottle has grown on me. It does not have a place in the BTAC only because it is not on par with the rest of the collection. A barrel proof version makes sense to me. If it is part of the '07 at the same proof I will pass.
    I completely disagree.

There is no way that 8 or 12 yo whiskies deserve the name Antique. The collection was started with 17 18 and 19 yo 90 proof products. These are deserving of that moniker. What we need are two different collections, one of Antique extra aged products, and one of straight from the barrel products.

About the only thing I would change with ER17 and Saz18 is the chill filtering.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    I completely disagree.

There is no way that 8 or 12 yo whiskies deserve the name Antique. The collection was started with 17 18 and 19 yo 90 proof products. These are deserving of that moniker. What we need are two different collections, one of Antique extra aged products, and one of straight from the barrel products.

About the only thing I would change with ER17 and Saz18 is the chill filtering.
    In your last sentance, to most that would imply you want to raise the proof to at least 92º, to do so - no?

On the rest I agree. From my point of view, most of the Antique collection is basically warehouse raiding. Barrel Strength Eagle Rare 17 would, for the most part be, a 17 year old George T. Stagg. At this point, I´m guessing the Sazerac 18 is a now a fixed product and probably responsible for the loss of distilled year being displayed on the label with the collection. It has gotten so old it was obvious the whiskey was not something Buffalo Trace had been distilling and backing up since the mid 80s.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    In your last sentance, to most that would imply you want to raise the proof to at least 92º, to do so - no?
    No, actually I would find it quite amusing to buy a bottle that was almost sure to chill-haze. Something about buying that most people would consider flawed, knowing full well that those flaws are actually advantages.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile