Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite WL Weller regardless of price (Only vote if you tried all)

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • WL Weller Special Reserve

4 5.26%
  • WL Weller 12 Year Old

22 28.95%
  • WL Weller 10 Year Centennial

19 25.00%
  • Old Weller Antique 107

31 40.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Your Favorite WL Weller Regardless of Price

What is your favorite WL Weller regardless of price (PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU HAVE TRIED THEM ALL)
    Last edited by heatmiser; 12-28-2006 at 00:29.

Taster

Re: Your Favorite WL Weller Regardless of Price

I love all of the Weller's and make them regular pours. I stick with the SR for mixing and I like the 12 y/o neat. The 107 is also great for mixing or on the rocks. This years Antique is probably my favorite pour right now. You can't go wrong with any WLW. I think it is very under-priced for what it is!
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." -Mark Twain

Guru

Centennial hits the sweet spot for me.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Old Weller 107 Proof, as recently bought in Louisville.

I agree Antique in the past was a heavy, woody-oriented whiskey but the current bottling, "sans" the Antique name, is a marvel of balance and elegance.

Gary

Advanced Taster

although not the best in my opinion, i drink antique 107 the most by far. its an awsome bourbon for the price, and i gotta give it my vote!
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by straightwhiskeyruffneck View Post
    although not the best in my opinion, i drink antique 107 the most by far. its an awsome bourbon for the price, and i gotta give it my vote!
    AH but it's not what you drink most, as that is usually determined -at least somewhat- by price, but which you would drink if they were all priced the same.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Much more difficult here for me than the WT question and vote. Personally, I rate the Antique 107 (especially the Louisville SW bottling) a very, very slight cut above the Centennial and a very slight cut above the 12YO. If I was not a fan primarily of the 100+ proofs, I would have gone with the 12YO. I am a huge fan all 3 though. I will not comment on the Special Reserve. I wonder sometimes if it even deserves the Weller name gracing the bottle......almost a disgrace to the fine old name IMHO.

Advanced Taster

I thoroughly enjoy the 107; but my vote was cast for the Centennial. I think it's a little richer. Of course, if William Larue was there, I may have voted a little differently. By the way, the 107 is currently my daily drinker.

Advanced Taster

[QUOTE=Antique in the past was a heavy, woody-oriented whiskey but the current bottling, "sans" the Antique name, is a marvel of balance and elegance.
    Gary[/QUOTE]
    I have not seen that; the Antique is still in heavy abundence around here. Is it a regional pour?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I bought it a few weeks ago at Liquor Barn in Louisville and was told by a knowledgeable person that because the name Antique is associated with the W.L. Weller, Stagg, etc. line, Buffalo Trace is no longer using the name Antique on Old Weller 107 proof. I bought a bottle of Old Weller 107 which still has the name Antique on it last week in Las Vegas but I think that and your bottle are older stock. Maybe Ken Weber can confirm/correct.

I can honestly say the non-Antique labelled bottle I bought was one of the best bourbons I have ever had. I am not sure I will be able to reproduce that experience but I will try.

I suspect the pints (at least) now on the shelves at Liquor Barn which are non-Antique labelled are the same as what I bought and maybe Bobby or Jeff or others would like to buy one and confirm.

Gary