Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Dumb Noob Question

I have thoroughly enjoyed EC 12 year old. It has become one of my favorites. I've probably had 7 or 8 bottles now.

This last bottle I purchased was almost undrinkable. Smelled and tasted extremely musty!

What could the cause of this be? Does this happen quite a bit, rarely, sometimes, etc.?

Just curious.

Re: Dumb Noob Question

Quote Originally Posted by Geekboy View Post
    I have thoroughly enjoyed EC 12 year old. It has become one of my favorites. I've probably had 7 or 8 bottles now.

This last bottle I purchased was almost undrinkable. Smelled and tasted extremely musty!

What could the cause of this be? Does this happen quite a bit, rarely, sometimes, etc.?

Just curious.
    Yep, it occurs. EC12 is like the little girl with the little curl -- when it is good, it is very, very good, and when it's bad, it is horrid.
    Nobody (that I know of) has explained it, but it has happened to a number of us. Unfortunately for me, it happened on my very first bottle, and I almost never tried it again.
    Bottom line, for me, is that EC12 is both such a good value and an occasional enough pour for me that it's not that big a deal. However, in your case, you're just going to have to decide whether or not the low price offsets the occasional bottle you'll get that you don't care to drink.
    Tim

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Geekboy View Post
    I have thoroughly enjoyed EC 12 year old....This last bottle I purchased was almost undrinkable. Smelled and tasted extremely musty!

See my post on this subject from about two years ago. I had a bad cork that produced this mustiness.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Taster

I'm pretty new as well and feared that when I got to EC12 on my wish list I would experience this. Luckily, it was great and is one of my favorites now. It's $21.99 where I live and it was worth every penny. Hopefully it'll always be a delicious experience!