Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Cigars

Apprentice

Re: Dry Cigars

A story here;

About 6 years ago My friend bought me a box of "true" Hoya de Montereys.. he bought them in the Cayman Islands. They were dry as a Shumard Oak's leaves in December. And they smoked badly.
    Thus , I convinced a Proprieter of fine brown waters for a trade in the store. I believe I got the better of the stick.. I would say. As I got 2- 1.75' "handles" of George!

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I recently splurged and purchased a Daniel Marshall humidor. It's beautiful and holds 165 cigars. It took two weeks to get the RH inside the box from 50% up to 70% (but that's what their user manual said it would take). Anyway, it also suggested a RH of 65% for the long term storage of cigars......long term meaning years and not months. 70 to 75% being appropriate for short term storage.

Here in Houston, sometimes we could use a dehumidifier to get those numbers. Personally, I have found I like the feel of the cigar kept at closer to 70 to 75 %.

Randy

Connoisseur

It's all personal preference, that is for sure. Ever since I've gone to 65% I've never felt the need to go back. Some prefer the higher humidity, nothing wrong with that (just watch for mold when approaching 75%). Check out www.cigarmony.com for a great humidification system (the puck) that doesn't need much attention and comes in both 65% and 70% variations.

Congrats on that humidor, the Marshall's are works of art.

Taster

Most people who smoke cuban cigars will tell you to keep them around 63-66%.

Connoisseur

My 2 cents

For my main humidor I bought a powered humidifier called Le Veil. Stays at 70% and if it goes lower within a few % it kicks on to maintain the desired humidity. Pretty cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LE-VEIL-ELECTRON...QQcmdZViewItem

In my 2nd humidor I have the OshKosh. Fill with distilled water and lasts a LONG time. (doesnt maintain a certain % though, but works well nonetheless)

http://www.oshkoshhumidor.com/cigar-humidor-store.htm

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    My 2 cents

For my main humidor I bought a powered humidifier called Le Veil. Stays at 70% and if it goes lower within a few % it kicks on to maintain the desired humidity. Pretty cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LE-VEIL-ELECTRON...QQcmdZViewItem
    That looks very similar to the Cigar Oasis that I have been considering purchasing. Do you have any experience the the Oasis?
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanfan View Post
    Most people who smoke cuban cigars will tell you to keep them around 63-66%.
    I would agree with that. My experience with many Cubans is that they are rolled too tight. Couple that with high humidity and you have a very tight draw.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur

Never used the Oasis, but it is very well regarded in the online community. Living in Tampa I have to worry more about removing humidity than I do adding it. So I stick with the beads.