Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

YMMV: Where to you veer off from the conventional wisdom?

YMMV -- "Your mileage may vary". It's a common proviso on these boards, a nod to the fact that no two tonguefuls of tastebuds will be identical.
    Still, don't you find it frustrating and doubt-inducing when you just can't like a bourbon/whiskey that others here rave about? Even if you find yourself in agreement 90% of the time, otherwise?
    Along with many others here, I love (almost -- there's Cabin Still!) all things Stitzel-Weller, Wild Turkey 12yo, Jimmy Russell Tribute, AAA 10yo, Rittenhouse rye, Buffalo Trace, Stagg, et al.
    But what's the big deal about Rare Breed, which shows way too much alcohol, to me, for its actual proof, or Very Old Barton, which strikes me little differently than Jim Beam White or current Old Taylor?
    What's your 'poison' -- the whiskey everybody else loves for reasons you can't figure out?
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 03-08-2007 at 19:28.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

Re: YMMV: Where to you veer off from the conventional wisdom?

I think I veer off sanctioned opinion with Bulleit Frontier. But what perplexes me even more is hating a bourbon on the first try, then coming back to the same bottle some weeks (or months) later and picking up on tastes and complexities that I missed before. I sometimes attribute the later-in-time appreciation to a "bad" palate, i.e. eating something that tainted my taste buds, or allowing the bourbon to "air" a bit (even if in the bottle). I'm enjoying a double of Bulleit right now and am thoroughly enjoying it. Go figure. (?)
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Enthusiast

I've made an effort to try to like it, but Baker's has just never hit the spot for me.

Advanced Taster

Bulleit, it does nothing for me. I bought it because it looked impressive in that bottle, after a couple of tastes to make sure I wasn't just having a bad day, I polished it off in mixed drinks when crowds showed up. Tom V

Guru

Tim,

For me it's Blanton's. I've tried hard to like it. Heck, a departed member once said "Anyone who doesn't like Blanton's doesn't like bourbon." Of course he's the guy who didn't like S-W bourbon.

Nevertheless, I've found it impossible to ignore Blanton's or to refrain from discussing it. A search on "Blanton's" with user id "bluesbassdad" yields a large number of hits.

I may try it again in a few years, but right now I'd buy another back-up bottle of Rock Hill Farms or two bottles of Buffalo Trace (assuming I'm ever in civilization again) rather than Blanton's.

Oh, and I'd rather have a bottle of Rare Breed any day. For me RB has heather and floral notes that more than overcome the alcohol.

As you say, it's a strange business.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

I don't care for Baker's either. To me it tastes like a slightly nore mature Beam White on steroids.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Elijah Craig 18yo, while I've always considered, it a passable pour, I never really thought it to be a great one.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

PVW 20 for me. It's my tribute bottle because it cost me so darn much I would be hard pressed to replace it because of cost alone.
    I "enjoy" it, but PVW 20 to me was not worth the money. I would buy 2 VW 15 or Lot B's any day for the same price. To me the younger bottles have much more flavor. I want to make it clear...I don't dislike it...I just don't see the flavor being worth the price.
    The only Bourbon I disliked upon first taste was EC18. A few months passed before I revisited it, and the "dislike" was gone. I found the flavor interesting and enjoyable.
    Todd

AH Hirsch 16 gold foil......wasn't a fan of this at all when I tried it, haven't revisited it for a while, it may be time to do so soon....

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

ERSB 10 yo. It just bores me to tears. I use it as an after-dinner drink about once/wk, but that's mostly to finish off the bottle. I likely won't buy another, even though I know there might be great variation from one single barrel bottle to another.