Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Sales of bourbon...

Here in civilization, hours of service are as follows:

Opening hours:

Legal opening time for all liquor establishments is 7:00 a.m. Monday - Saturday and 11:00 a.m. on Sunday. Restaurants can begin selling liquor at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday.

In 2006, an exception was made for Christmas Eve Sunday and New Years Eve Sunday, allowing businesses that sell packaged goods liquor to begin selling at 8 a.m. on Sunday, December 24, and Sunday, December 31)

Closing hours:
    Legal closing time for standard liquor licenses is 2:00 a.m. Monday - Saturday and 3:00 a.m. on Sunday. Establishments with a Late Hour liquor license are allowed to remain open until 4:00 a.m. - Saturday, and 5:00 a.m. on Sunday.

Therefore, excepting in years when Christmas Eve and New Years Eve fall on Sunday, there is no alcohol sold legally on Sunday anywhere in Chicago from 5:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

That seems like time enough for the Lord.

Connoisseur

My real problem with no Sunday bourbon sales is this: one weekend day ain't near enough for dusty-bottle hunting....

And there's no smiling emoticon here because I'm not kidding...

Well, maybe a little I am. But really, it's hard to get anywhere except the very closest liquor stores (which, thanks to TX's many other alcohol restrictions, are at least 10 miles away for me) except on weekends. If what I want can't be had cheaply and close to home, I better clear my schedule for Saturday.

Guru

Except for a smattering of dry towns. Where I live Sunday sales begin 11:00 AM or 12 noon depending on local ordinance. (anything from near beer to Everclear 190) A small inconvenience, but still!

Do religious community leaders think I'm gonna attend Sunday services with a snoot-full If Sunday morning sales aren't illegal?