Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Extra aged bourbon question

This is somewhat research for my rebarrel project, but also a genuine interest question:

Are barrels to be aged extra long stored in any particular place in the warehouse? For instance, are they in the deeper, more central (cooler regions, not exposed to the extreme temperature daily and seasonal changes) or could they be toward the periphery? Or perhaps lower to the ground as opposed to higher up in the ricks.

I'm suspecting there is no definitive answer and it depends on the distiller, the type of spirit, and the placement of the warehouse itself.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Disciple

Re: Extra aged bourbon question

I remember Chuck telling me in another thread that he suspected that Knob Creek was aged in a slower aging section of the warehouse and that Booker's was in a faster aging section.

Blanton's is all from warehouse H. I believe from the same floor.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Enthusiast

I wouldn't necessarily consider KC to be an oldie, but thanks for the info Ed. Is there anything special about BC's warehouse H? Again, Blanton's isn't extra old. I should probably check the fact sheet that came with the BTAC Stagg and Weller for clues.

If you have a thread link I'd be glad to see that.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I may be wrong about this, but isn't the Blanton's warehouse a heated ironclad building?
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

I believe that's correct. Blanton's is kept in a metal warehouse. The other Rack houses are brick if I remember correctly. Also, I thought that Booker Noe purposely kept the Booker brand mid house in order to control the temperature changes. Maybe they don't do that anymore but I remember Fred Noe talking about the premium barrels being kept in the middle of the rack house.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

This reminds of a little memory I have about barrels in a warehouse.
    A few years ago I was tasting the new OFBB at some whisky event. An attractive woman was pouring some into my glass while she told me this latest release was from honey barrels. She proceeded to say barrels used to make honey. HUH?? Someone else in the booth overheard this and quickly rushed over to correct her and to say she meant the "honey" barrels meaning the primo barrels in the warehouse that basically reside in the middle of the warehouse where the temperature is most consistent.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    This reminds of a little memory I have about barrels in a warehouse.
    A few years ago I was tasting the new OFBB at some whisky event. An attractive woman was pouring some into my glass while she told me this latest release was from honey barrels. She proceeded to say barrels used to make honey. HUH?? Someone else in the booth overheard this and quickly rushed over to correct her and to say she meant the "honey" barrels meaning the primo barrels in the warehouse that basically reside in the middle of the warehouse where the temperature is most consistent.
    At least she didn't tell you that the latest release was from honey buckets.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Guru

In American Still Life The Jim Beam Story and The Making of the Worlds #1 Bourbon by Paul Pacult, Booker was quoted as saying he chooses (chose) his namesake bourbon from the center (fifth and sixth stories) of nine story rackhouses, calling it the "center cut".

Guru

I think I remember someone posting about Beam 'barreling to brand' or 'distilling to brand' meaning they know based on warehouse location what brand it was going to be bottled as. And if I remember right KC was from the slower aging (lower floors) I would post a link but I am having some trouble with the advanced search function. Undoubtedly something I'm not doing right.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I think I remember someone posting about Beam 'barreling to brand' or 'distilling to brand' meaning they know based on warehouse location what brand it was going to be bottled as. And if I remember right KC was from the slower aging (lower floors) I would post a link but I am having some trouble with the advanced search function. Undoubtedly something I'm not doing right.

I think this is the thread you wanted.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=6609

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!