Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Peat-malted barley from the U.S. or Canada?

I understand that in Scotland, peat is commonly used during the barley-malting process.

I was wondering if anyone might know if there is anywhere in the U.S. or Canada where local peat is used in the barley-malting process. I've tried doing some research online, but have been largely unsuccessful in finding any use of peat in North American whiskeys -- as it certainly looks like this is not a common practice in U.S. or Canadian whiskey production. Any peaty whiskeys I've found produced in N. America just import the pre-malted and peat-smoked barley from Scotland. But if by chance anyone could help direct me to any exceptions where they do use peat in North America, I would be very grateful!

Thanks for your help. This is my first posting so please let me know if I should be more specific or anything.

Connoisseur

Re: Peat-malted barley from the U.S. or Canada?

Problem is that you cannot find peat in North America. I believe the company that does do this (McCarthy's) uses peat smoked barley malt from Scotland.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Actually peat is found in several parts of North America, including the swamps of Florida and parts of Canada. Problem is many of the areas are now protected.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Peat moss or the peat they use to make a turf fire in Ireland/Scotland? Are you sure this is the same thing?
    Tim

Same thing: Sphagnum is what is known as peat moss, as it decays upon itself it forms the heavy bogs that can over extremely long periods of time turn to coal.

Major difference between the types of bogs we have here and the ones in Scotland are how they are arranged. Here they tend to be very deep as the bog has overtaken a lake and filled it top to bottom with decaying material, there it tends to be a blanket a few meters deep over marshland.

I'm currently taking an economic botany course..we spent two days on peat and one on corn and another on potatoes....seems peat is the most economically important plant on the planet (according to the professor, anyway)

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Okay, I'll have to take your word for it. Too bad it's endangered in the States as I'd like to see what we could do with it as far as malting barley.
    Tim

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Major difference between the types of bogs we have here and the ones in Scotland are how they are arranged. Here they tend to be very deep as the bog has overtaken a lake and filled it top to bottom with decaying material, there it tends to be a blanket a few meters deep over marshland.
    Actually, the largest bogs in the US are of the raised type, covering thousands of acres in northern Minnesota.

More info here and here.
    Dave

Yes exactly. The raised bogs are the type that fill in lake beds, Red Lake for instance filled in a shallow glacial lake bed. The type in Scotland and Ireland are called blanket bogs.

Decent basic wiki here

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

This is a philosophical issue and reasonable people can differ, but my personal bias is that I don't see why anyone would want to mess around trying to make an American malt whiskey, peated or otherwise. The use of peat as a fuel and of barley as a staple food are both integral to the history and culture of Scotland and Ireland. They play no similar role in the history and culture of the United States. The United States has its own rich whiskey-making heritage, which has its roots in Scotland, Ireland and other European lands, but has evolved over hundreds of years in its own unique way. What is the point of going backwards and trying to duplicate something we've already moved beyond?

Connoisseur

If a good whiskey comes out of the process I'm all for it, I don't care what country it comes from.
    Tim