Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Administrator in exile

BOTM 4/07: William Larue Weller

Spring has finally sprung, and in the spirit (pun intended) of renewal we will be taking a look at some relatively new and innovative bourbons that have recently come to market. This month's choice is: William Larue Weller barrel-proof wheated bourbon.

With high-proof bottlings en-vogue, it was only logical that Buffalo Trace would expand on their success with George T Stagg by releasing a high-octane wheater. In only two years it has become a real crowd pleaser here in Bourbon Country. Those with excessive chest hair will enjoy this one straight up, while others will find it pairs well with a splash of water or cube of ice. It even makes a good bourbon sour

Discussion is open to all releases of this product. Comparisons to other Weller expressions are welcome and expected.

Sound off
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Re: BOTM 4/07: William Larue Weller

I have been looking for a reason to open my '06.....and I think I just found it!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Novice

Wink Re: BOTM 4/07: William Larue Weller

Hello all! I have been lurking in forum awhile, and have learned much, and enjoyed all the posts.
    BOTM of WLW was a great reason to make a 1st post.
    Have enjoyed W.L. Weller Special Reserve for 20+ years, as well as 107.
    Am going to buy a bottle of William Larue Weller tomorrow at Discount Liquor in Waukesha, Wi. I noticed 4 on thier shelf last Sat., but purchased W.T. Rye, and 2Rittehouse Rye B.I.B.

Quote Originally Posted by mech82000 View Post
    ...Am going to buy a bottle of William Larue Weller tomorrow at Discount Liquor in Waukesha, Wi. I noticed 4 on thier shelf last Sat...
    Well, if this doesn't show how little effect we have on moving sales, then we're immune to modesty. I'm sitting here with the '06 Larue info sheet in front of me, and I can't for the life of me figure out how there can be more than 3,000 bottles, even if they rinsed every last drop out of the barrels -- or, one bottle for each 2 millions souls on earth.
    Yet here we are, 5-6 months after release, discussion, chatter and rhapsodizing about it here -- and there are still bottles left on shelves!
    Tim

Guru

The WLW was (IMHO) the best of the (comparatively weak) 2005 BTAC bourbons. The 2006 BTAC was much stronger throughout but the WLW has held its own and is simply outstanding.

Oh, that I could get more....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

I've never had this one, but now I'm tempted. Any thoughts?
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Virtuoso

The '06 is outstanding, and the '05 was good as well, but I'll give the nod to the '06. I have one bottle of '06 in reserve, which will wait until the next BTAC release unless temptation wins. Sadly, my first bottle went empty a while ago, but it sure was nice while it lasted!

Regardless of whether or not it's S-W (and I believe it isn't, based on the fact sheet), it's one mighty fine whiskey.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Guru

After reading this thread I decided to pull my open bottle of '05 from the cabinet. This time I added a dribble of water. Which does seem to open it up a bit. It still lacks that "pecan pie" taste I find in Antique. It is there but it's muted by the wood.

I really wish I had bought some of the '06.

Guru

I've enjoyed the WLW '06 release over the last year very much. I'm not sure the Weller has put hair on my chest but I believe the hair in my ears is from old age and not bourbon.....I could be wrong.

I have two bottles of WLW bunkered plus the current open bottle I'm nursing. Hindsight being 20/20, I can only hope the '07 release is as over the top good as '06 was....that being the case, I plan on stocking up.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

I have been a fan of Weller products since I have started drinking bourbon. The Weller 12yr and Centennial are two of my favorites. The WLW 06 is the cream of the crop, the icing on the cake and my #1 favorite bourbon period.

bj