Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 4/07: William Larue Weller

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Spring has finally sprung, and in the spirit (pun intended) of renewal we will be taking a look at some relatively new and innovative bourbons that have recently come to market. This month's choice is: William Larue Weller barrel-proof wheated bourbon.
    While it seems that some wheated bourbons have a reputation for being somewhat bland, I would have to say that NONE of those bland ones belong to the Weller family.

The Sazerac company's ability to tap into what is quickly becoming lasting trends, as well as a well-rounded product portfolio and excellent marketing, have put them at the forefront of the high-end bourbon market, and rightfully so.

On that note, I think I'll crack open this bottle of WLW as soon as I finish my Ezra B. and my Eagle Rare 17. So, give it about a week!

I still have to find that pesky GTS and Sazerac 18, though...
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Novice

Talking Re: BOTM 4/07: William Larue Weller

As stated on 4/05, purchased a bottle of William Larue Weller on route home yesterday. Also Old Grand Dad B.I.B., W.T. Rye,,and Rittenhouse Rye B.I.B.
    I really appreciate all the informative posts from all of the whiskey Conn oisuers
    on S.B. .com
    It was a perfect evening to open and enjoy the wlw 06.
    Unseasonably cold, 30 degree weather, fire in the fireplace.
    Good cigar. Ribeyes over hardwood lump charcoal.
    Opened wlw 06, pourded a triple, and nutty smooth charachter said, this Whiskey was worth every penney of my hard earned money!

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    ...William Larue Weller: Ah, now this is more like, right off the top! Last year’s nose was full of alcohol and oak. This one’s a wheater from the get-go! Caramel/brown-sugar fudge. More caramel/brown-sugar fudge. I can’t get past it (nor do I want to). Oh, boy – it’s there on the palate, too, quick-dried by oaky heat (think Weller 19yo, but a little less closed-ended). “I scorched the fudge a little in the bottom of the pan, Mom – can I eat it?” A little bit of the burnt-toffee sense, but just enough to excuse making another batch. Finish is medium-long and warm, with hints of orange. There’s hope for Weller barrel-proof, after all...
    That's what I wrote back in November upon first opening a bottle. I'm a little more than halfway through that bottle now, and have it in front of me in the glass.
    Caramel/brown-sugar fudge. Drizzle some cherry sauce over it. Sprinkle with walnut pieces.
    Hasn't changed much. That's a good thing. I hope later editions resemble this one more than the '05, which I had to dilute of mix to finish.
    Tim

Guru

My bother in law and I tasted the '06 just last month. The high proof came as not so much a jolt as much as it did "snap to attention" type of reaction

We will revisit it as a perfect after dinner pour for all of the richness and sweet caramel that we have so far tasted.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    William Larue Weller: Ah, now this is more like, right off the top! Last year’s nose was full of alcohol and oak. This one’s a wheater from the get-go! Caramel/brown-sugar fudge. More caramel/brown-sugar fudge. I can’t get past it (nor do I want to). Oh, boy – it’s there on the palate, too, quick-dried by oaky heat (think Weller 19yo, but a little less closed-ended). “I scorched the fudge a little in the bottom of the pan, Mom – can I eat it?” A little bit of the burnt-toffee sense, but just enough to excuse making another batch. Finish is medium-long and warm, with hints of orange. There’s hope for Weller barrel-proof, after all.
    Thanks to a recent trade with another SB.com member I am enjoying my second pour of the '06 WLW. Tim, you said it better than I ever could. I just got the hint of 'orange' big time when I took the last sip of the first pour. Almost reminded me of orange bitters (not really bitter of course) more like fudgeie orange, like orange infused bitter-sweet chocolate.

Connoisseur

Well, I was on the edge anyway, and re-reading the thread has done it: I'm going to buy a bottle tomorrow. Yes, there are a few I know of still around. I don't have the cash, but it has to happen.

I really need to quit reading this forum or start selling plasma.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    I really need to quit reading this forum or start selling plasma.
    There's a certain symmetry to that thought;

the alcohol can take the place of that unneeded plasma, leaving the blood supply undiminished

Roger

Wow, what a selection for the BOTM!! This stuff is really marvelous, the only downside that I can possibly come up with and its nit picking is that it is a little bit on the sweet side. I think it would be great reduced with some berries and poured over vanilla bean ice cream atop a warm brownie. Rachael Ray, are you listening?

I like Stagg and the Saz18 is great as always, but I think this WLW and the Handy made the BTAC this year.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Wow, what a selection for the BOTM!! This stuff is really marvelous, the only downside that I can possibly come up with and its nit picking is that it is a little bit on the sweet side. I think it would be great reduced with some berries and poured over vanilla bean ice cream atop a warm brownie. Rachael Ray, are you listening?

I like Stagg and the Saz18 is great as always, but I think this WLW and the Handy made the BTAC this year.
    This is the most positive review I have read about WLW of the BTAC.
    I have the 2005 bottle unopened, and I have no need to hurry to get to it after what I have read about it.
    But I don't really want to pay for an '06.
    ovh

Advanced Taster

This was a great pick for BOTM. I have a bottle of the '05, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm quite partial to wheated bourbons, and this one is one of my favorites. I don't see wheated bourbons as bland, but if I did, this one would be an exception.

I regret that I didn't pick up an '06 bottle, but hope to pick one up soon. I just missed a couple of bottles (along with an '06 GTS) at my local retailer by two days, so I fell into a short depression. (It was short because I picked up my first Lot B - but that'll be a different post!)
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend