Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Novice

The President’s Choice – Is it any good?

No, not THAT president. The President’s Choice bourbon. I just picked up a small sealed bottle at an estate sale for a buck. I’ve learned that it was discontinued about 10 years ago due to copyright problems. It’s a 1/2 Pint, 90.3 Proof, Brown-Forman Distillers.

My questions: On a 1-10 scale, how good is it? Or, what other bourbon is it comparable to? How old is it? Is it collectible in any way, or should I just open ’er up tonight and start sippin’? (Yes, I do like bourbon!)

(My photo here is a scan, so the bottle appears totally full. It is not. In fact, it looks like a tablespoon or more has evaporated over the years.)

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Urban Bourbon; 04-09-2007 at 16:13.

Re: The President’s Choice – Is it any good?

Ebay's about the only place to determine a monetary value, and I've seen it a few times there. It won't make you rich, but it would bring back more than your dollar.
    Unsurprisingly, I think most of us here would pop the top and drink it -- I know I would! -- just because it's bourbon. After all, that's what it was made for.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I’ve learned that it was discontinued about 10 years ago due to copyright problems. It’s a 1/2 Pint, 90.3 Proof, Brown-Forman Distillers.
    Do tell. I can't imagine what kind of "copyright problems" they could have had. Also, I have a vague recollection of seeing something like this before, but not as recently as 10 years ago. Where did you get Brown-Forman in connection with this? It doesn't seem like their style. Maybe you could show us the back label?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Do tell. I can't imagine what kind of "copyright problems" they could have had. Also, I have a vague recollection of seeing something like this before, but not as recently as 10 years ago. Where did you get Brown-Forman in connection with this? It doesn't seem like their style. Maybe you could show us the back label?

Hey Urban,
    I notice you're new, so you may not know that Chuck consulted in bourbon marketing in this general time frame. If you jog his memory with a photo or more info, it's possible he may know a lot about this issue.

Just from the photo, that bottle looks more like it's from the '70s than the '90s to me. It appears to have a true tax stamp.

Roger

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I agree, it's at least pre 1980 due to the standard non-metric sizing. I have seen one of these before, in a larger size, at Woodford Reserve, one of the on-site tour guides pulled it out of a cabinet to show it to me...don't know why, guess I was just asking the right questions.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

You'll find a reference to President's Choice in relation to erstwhile company president William F. Lucas about halfway through this B-F history outline:
    http://www.answers.com/topic/brown-forman-corporation

So, apparently the Brown-Forman connection is correct.
    Read a little further, and there's an interesting tale about the introduction of 'light whiskey'.
    Tim

Novice

Hi cowdery,
    Here’s some more info:

Looks like in its day it was a “premium-priced product.”

from: http://www.answers.com/topic/brown-forman-corporation
    “Although Street effectively diversified Brown-Forman, William F. Lucas replaced him as president in 1969. Lucas was also not part of the Brown family. He had joined Brown-Forman as an engineer in 1935 and advanced through the ranks. Lucas concentrated on marketing Brown-Forman's premium-priced products--President's Choice, Jack Daniel's, Old Forester, and Early Times.”

And, I was wrong on the copyright thing. Read it too fast the first time. It was a Domain Name Dispute Resolution, decided in June, 2000. And it appears that Brown-Forman won against the Complainant in the case, Loblaws, which “owns many PRESIDENT'S CHOICE marks in Canada and the United States.”
    http://www.disputes.org/decisions/0170.htm

Also, it looks like Brown-Forman voluntarily withdrew (in 2002) its attempt (in 1997) to register (re-register?) the President’s Choice name for bourbon.
    http://ipophil.gov.ph/ipcasesearch/I...=14-2002-00042

But I haven’t been able to find out when it went out of production, or why. Or how long it was in production. Or what kind of a reputation it had.

( My google search words were: "President's Choice" "Brown-Forman" bourbon )

Here are enlarged scans of both labels.

PS - The bottle tax stamp is Series 112, No. 332778209, if that means anything.

Last edited by Urban Bourbon; 04-09-2007 at 17:29.

Novice

On the bottom of the bottle it says:

LIQUOR BOTTLE
    65 (1) 69
    2 L-10606

Maybe that means it was made between 1965 and 1969 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Bourbon View Post
    On the bottom of the bottle it says:

LIQUOR BOTTLE
    65 (1) 69
    2 L-10606

Maybe that means it was made between 1965 and 1969 ?
    It probably means that the bottle was patented in 1965 and this particular one was manufactured in 1969. Gives you a good approximation of bottling date.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm not sure it was ever a general release product. More like something to be used for gifts and such. 1969 sounds about right. I was very involved with Brown-Forman between 1980 and 1986, and it wasn't around during that period.

Thanks for sharing it with us.