Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: The President’s Choice – Is it any good?

If you bought it from an estate sale that was the belonings of the deceased, then it meant something to him to keep it this long. So that could say something about the bourbon.
    What are we saying, late '60's to early '70's?

If it was a 750ml, you could get at least $35.00 on ebay.
    But for that much, I'd hang onto it for a while, but I would eventually drink it.
    If it was for corporate gifts, it might have come from a honey barrell.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    If you bought it from an estate sale that was the belonings of the deceased, then it meant something to him to keep it this long. So that could say something about the bourbon.
    What are we saying, late '60's to early '70's?

If it was a 750ml, you could get at least $35.00 on ebay.
    But for that much, I'd hang onto it for a while, but I would eventually drink it.
    If it was for corporate gifts, it might have come from a honey barrell.

Hi OscarV - I do sell stuff on eBay, collectible books and magazines mostly. But I don’t put anything on eBay that’s going to sell for under $25-$30. Just not worth the time. If this bottle is worth at least that much to a collector or connoisseur, and it seems like it should be, that’s where it’s going. I’ll put the proceeds into a larger volume of new stuff, maybe try a bourbon I wouldn’t have bought otherwise. I am getting some good ideas from this forum. Even though this is only a half-pint, less than $30 and I’ll be happy to drink it myself. I love bourbon, but not for the purpose of admiring the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Bourbon View Post
    Hi OscarV - I do sell stuff on eBay, collectible books and magazines mostly. But I don’t put anything on eBay that’s going to sell for under $25-$30. Just not worth the time. If this bottle is worth at least that much to a collector or connoisseur, and it seems like it should be, that’s where it’s going. I’ll put the proceeds into a larger volume of new stuff, maybe try a bourbon I wouldn’t have bought otherwise. I am getting some good ideas from this forum. Even though this is only a half-pint, less than $30 and I’ll be happy to drink it myself. I love bourbon, but not for the purpose of admiring the bottle.
    Just so you'll know, the sale of bourbon on eBay is a sore spot with more than a few here -- both in terms of legality, and the propensity of some folks who've come here to pick our brains, when all they had in mind is profiting from it.
    That said, more than a few here (myself included) have been known to buy stuff we can't otherwise get from eBay, with fewer of us even selling stuff there.
    All of that to lead to this -- I think you might not get the $25-$30 you seek for a half-pint of anything short of VOF 8yo or suchlike. I know I would see that bottle and think, "Well, if I can get it for around $10-$12 after shipping, maybe I'll give it a go if there's only one other bidder." And, if I did win it, I'd open it and drink it (likely with some friends here). I'd view it as a taste experience, not a collectible.
    Tim

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Just so you'll know, the sale of bourbon on eBay is a sore spot with more than a few here -- both in terms of legality, and the propensity of some folks who've come here to pick our brains, when all they had in mind is profiting from it.
    That said, more than a few here (myself included) have been known to buy stuff we can't otherwise get from eBay, with fewer of us even selling stuff there.
    All of that to lead to this -- I think you might not get the $25-$30 you seek for a half-pint of anything short of VOF 8yo or suchlike. I know I would see that bottle and think, "Well, if I can get it for around $10-$12 after shipping, maybe I'll give it a go if there's only one other bidder." And, if I did win it, I'd open it and drink it (likely with some friends here). I'd view it as a taste experience, not a collectible.
    Thanks, Tim - It’s true that I have on occasion used various forums to “pick people’s brains” on some aspect of a subject that was new to me. And sometimes there has been some degree of a money motive behind it, or at least that possibility. I guess I justify that by the fact that the kinds of things that I tend to deal with (books, mostly, and art-related stuff) are also the things that I love myself. So, I do mix making a living with pleasure and learning, whenever I can.

Regarding my little bottle of bourbon here, really I just want to open it up and taste it. But I also wanted to first be sure that I didn’t drink up a valuable rarity that I could have passed along (at a profit, yes) to someone who would appreciate it more than I would. And in my investigation I stumbled upon this forum (actually, the whole website) where I have learned in the past four days probably 75-percent of everything I now know about bourbon. So, I’m already happy. And I do hope that no one feels used.
    Cheers,
    Paul

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post

My biggest gripe with someone coming here (only) to find out how much a certain bottle is worth isn't that I would feel used, "having my brain picked" (not that I am among those who's brain would be picked) but the lack of respect for a finely crafted beverage that is meant to be drunk. Kind of like someone who inherits a Belgian Browning Auto-5 Sweet 16 only to think of it in terms of $$$.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    ...a Belgian Browning Auto-5 Sweet 16... in terms of $$$.
    Now that's gonna be a lot of money right there...

Guru

I got some info on President's Choice.
    A guy at the bar I was delivering to today overheard me and the owner talking about the new bourbon that he now carries,(no biggie, it was just Eagle Rare Single Barrel). He said in 1969 on his 21st birthday his Father in Florida sent him up a bottle of Presidents Choice.

So Chuck nailed the year, 1969. I asked the guy how his Father got it and he said over the counter retail store, and it was the smoothest and best tasting bourbon he ever had.

So, you can imagine how weird that was when this guy pops up with PC knowledge like out of nowhwere,.......
    ovh