Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Spring '07)

Back from a fabulous dinner and capping it off with some Black Maple Hill 16yr. Just a little, though. Busy day tomorrow.

I haven't had this in a while. Sweeter than I remembered.

Virtuoso

Tonite I am trying my hand at making a Sazerac cocktail for the first time. Looking back thru past threads, I kind of figured out a recipe using what is available here at the house - Angostura bitters, orange bitters, subbing maple syrup for sugar and of course, the straight Rye. First try was with VWFRR and it turned out pretty yummy & warm to the tummy if I say so myself.

Second attempt was made with Rittenhouse BIB and with a little stronger dosage of Angostura. Results were pretty darn good although I slightly prefer the VW Rye at this point. Wish I had some Absinthe or derivation thereof in order to be more true to the 'real' Sazerac of ancient lore.

Anyhow, it has been a fun experimenting just the same. I am not normally much of a Rye drinker so I usually to 'dress' it up a bit when I do decide to indulge. Most of the time it is ginger ale or club soda.......but, tonite I decided to try something new.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Without the faint licorice scent, it is really an Old-Fashioned. It sounds like you made excellent ones. Any kind of licorice hint will do for the Sazerac, recently I used a locally made anisette, a sweetened licorice cordial. If you use that you may need to allow for its sweetness since some anisette is quite sweet. There is a well-known peppermint schnapps in the States (name escapes me for a moment) that might work too. Even dissolving some black licorice candies in a bottle of rye would work well (or say in some inexpensive vodka, and add a dash of that). The whole thing about cocktails is to improvise as needed but within the overall context of the drink. By the way I find maple syrup blends very well with whiskey, maybe because it is derived from trees.

Gary

Revisited my Hirsch 16 Gold Foil. I try and like it, but I still don't. I got a nice hit of caramel, but that is the only good thing I got out of this bourbon. Maybe this is a bad bottle, although maybe it's just me. Cam and I went to a bourbon tasting a few weeks ago, and they had it at the bar we were at. I wasn't particularly fond of that bottle, either.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

Having a margarita right now:

1 1/2 oz. silver tequila
    1 oz. triple sec
    1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
    dash agave syrup

Shaken and strained and very much hitting the spot right now.

It'll be Baker's from here on out, though.

Guru

After putting a nice pork roast on the rotisserie, I made an Old Fashioned using Templeton rye. Though I think it's rather light for drinking neat I've grown fond of using it for this cocktail. I dare say I prefer it to Baby Saz.

Later with the roast I might have a pour or three of WT rye. I might as well, It looks like work will be rained out tomorrow too. This weather is beginning to put a dent in my bourbon budget.

Guru

First time pour of Fighting Cock. For a younger bourbon, it's quite nice and very reasonably priced.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

A pour of Fleischmann's Rye, then one of Bulleit, and now another Fleischmann's for a nightcap.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Taster

OW 107 followed by Makers Mark. I am really looking forward to picking up a Weller 12 since I am really enjoying the 107.
    Bob O.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Revisited my Hirsch 16 Gold Foil. I try and like it, but I still don't. I got a nice hit of caramel, but that is the only good thing I got out of this bourbon. Maybe this is a bad bottle, although maybe it's just me. Cam and I went to a bourbon tasting a few weeks ago, and they had it at the bar we were at. I wasn't particularly fond of that bottle, either.

Scott
    Ok then, so I'm not alone. I had high hopes for the Hirsch but I can't be past the coppery taste. It's not a bad bourbon but I have others that I much prefer over the Hirsch. I hadn't had any in a number of months so I went back to it about two weeks ago and still didn't find it overly enjoyable. I'll keep working at it and maybe it'll "hit" me one day.....

Earlier this evening I had a nice pour of The Glenlivet 15 Year...I had a nice fruitiness to it.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog