Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Spring '07)

I had an almost half-full bottle of baker's that I decided to revisit, although when I tried to open it the cork snapped.
    When I tried to remove it with a cork screw, it fell to pieces into the bottle. I don't have a cork that fits it, so I really see my only option as drinking the contents before the cork deteriorates. Worse things have happened

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Taster

Yes...spring is here, though I did have a whopping 5 inches of snow at my spread in the Hill Country last weekend after a freak weather event. The wild jackrabbits are eating the remains of the carrots from the melted snowman...and I am drinking circa 2000 Weller 12 and Old Forester 86. Yes...spring has arrived and life is good.
    "Now it is time for that mellow moment"

Novice

Got a bottle of Sazerac Rye 18-Year last night. I know, it's not technically a bourbon, but it's in the same collection as my favorite Stagg, so I'll let it slide.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by zdevin View Post
    Got a bottle of Sazerac Rye 18-Year last night. I know, it's not technically a bourbon, but it's in the same collection as my favorite Stagg, so I'll let it slide.
    That's a great whiskey. Nice find.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    I had an almost half-full bottle of baker's that I decided to revisit, although when I tried to open it the cork snapped.
    When I tried to remove it with a cork screw, it fell to pieces into the bottle. I don't have a cork that fits it, so I really see my only option as drinking the contents before the cork deteriorates. Worse things have happened

Scott
    Rather than "What are you drinking tonight" I should have maybe posted this under "How to get one hell of a headache". It would now be what is the next morning, and I have one sore head on my shoulders.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Advanced Taster

JB Black. My first bottle (375 ml.) of this stuff. OK but not as flavorful or complex as Knob Creek. A little disappointing, particularly after seeing mostly positive reviews. I doubt that I'll buy another.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    JB Black. My first bottle (375 ml.) of this stuff. OK but not as flavorful or complex as Knob Creek. A little disappointing, particularly after seeing mostly positive reviews. I doubt that I'll buy another.
    Me too, although it is hardly my first, nor will it be my last bottle. I like the fruity nose and smooth heat. This is not a showy bourbon, but rather a nice way to end a long day.

Virtuoso

I started out tonight with... you guessed it, Beam Black. While I don't consider it to be a showpiece bourbon, it's a good, solid pour, and this won't be the last bottle I buy, either.

After that, some ER101, and now some '05 Stagg. The Stagg is definitely a showpiece, and the ER101 is no slouch.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Guru

Bushmills Single Malt 10yr. It ain't Redbreast but it's good. Much better than the 16yr. IMHO

Guru

Tonight was another pour of Elmer T. Now I'm tired.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog