Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Spring '07)

Knob Creek with Poker last night. Good combo...just wish I'd won more!

Connoisseur

EWSB '95 tonight. Don't care for it with ice, first one I've had that happen with. I've had some I liked MORE without ice, but I just don't care for EWSB on ice.

Guru

A friend called and wanted to talk about his problems (job and marital). Looks like it's gonna' be a WT101 night.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

Old Grand Dad BIB, tax stamped. I wish I could find more of this one.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce

Guru

Took the day off from work and spent it with my wife celebrating 21 years of marriage. Had a nice Porterhouse steak for dinner at Morton's Steakhouse and now ending the evening with some early 80's Old Crow. My anniversary gift hasn't arrived yet...SB PVW23....
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

First, a little gem from CocktailDB called the Openheim, basically a Manhattan jazzed up with (in my case real) grenadine. Rittenhouse BIB and Carpano Antica Formula provided the backbone of the drink.

Then, the inevitable limoncello (mixed with San Pellegrino this time), followed by Bernheim Straight Wheat. Now, a small pour of WT Rye for the nightcap...
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Enthusiast

I'm sipping tonight at some Old Fitz BIB. This is the current stuff, from DSP -1, and it may not be Stitzel Weller but it is as fine as fine can be. I love the mouthfeel - the proof is perfect to give some kick to the basic smoothness. This is round, balanced whiskey, sweet and delicious.

I'm down to two fingers' worth, and I'll need to travel a hundred miles to get more. That's not a lament, that's an event - Road Trip!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post
    I'm down to two fingers' worth, and I'll need to travel a hundred miles to get more. That's not a lament, that's an event - Road Trip!
    I've not had the current iteration of the Old Fitz BIB. I love the S-W era version, of course. Hmm, maybe I better give it a try...

Why 200 miles? NJ doesn't carry it?

• • •

I enjoyed some Fox tonight - Virginia Gentleman 90pf. This is one of those bourbons I have to be in the mood for. Many days it doesn't appeal to me. Tonight, however, it was just fine.

The finish is rather metallic (coppery) and flinty. It starts sweet but ends very dry. I think the reason I am ambivalent about it is I tend not to prefer bourbons that end too dry. I think that's why I don't usually drink Elijah Craig 18, or even the Hirsch gold foil.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Wouldja believe (wait for it!) a pineapple bomb? Well, we're limited, sometimes, by the ingredients available to us. I had 1 part bourbon (I used 2006 ER 17), 1-1/2 part amaretto (a diSaronno mini), and 3 parts pineapple juice (Dole, from a Malibu rum package that hasn't sold well at the store). Shaken, with the ice poured into the glass.
    Ya know, I might (after pumping up the bourbon just a bit) just have to replenish the amaretto -- this ain't bad of a sultry evening! Hell, I might book a cruise tomorrow!
    Tim

Advanced Taster

While sipping a wonderful pour of HH BIB, I thought that I recognized a taste of char that I find very apparant in EC 18yo. You know, that tar taste that oddly tastes wonderful. Has anyone else noticed this? After that, Old Charter 12 yo with just a trickle of spring water. Delicious.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"