Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Spring '07)

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    This is why, I think, the Weller 107 goes out at 107 proof: the extra proof helps to fill it out, adds complexity.

Gary
    This makes sence Gary.

Novice

I'll be tasting 3 ryes tonight:
    (1) BMH 18 Year Rye
    (2) Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
    (3) Rittenhouse BIB

Out of the above 3 ryes, the BMH is my favorite, with the Van Winkle Rye coming in a close second. However, the Rittenhouse BIB is an outstanding value at $12...and it would still be a fine value at twice the price. Sadly, my stash of Wild Turkey rye is gone. I'll need to replace that soon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Tonight was kind of a mixed bag. Some Blanton Special Reserve, very nice, soft and rich if a little lower in proof than I like. Some Mountain Rock from Kittling Ridge to which I added some Three Grain from the same house (maybe 7:3) which made it perfect - rich and sherryish but with evident steely rye and other grain notes behind.

Some Bud Lite (I like to check into the macro brewers once in a while, it was okay, good to chase the whiskey anyway). Some Hoegaarden from InBev, freshly brought in via their Labatt network, a killer beer: lovely grainy orangey taste, kind of a beer Old-Fashioned you might say. Proof that big brewers can make great beer when they want to.

Some French rose wine from Minervois.

I like rose in the summer. Once I had some Finger Lakes Catawba (I think I mentioned this before, Chuck commented on it) on a rise over Keuka Lake, it was at a local fair, I think to support the volunteer fire department there. We walked up the hill in the dark and it was pitch black coming down. They had some rides, antique cars, the fire vehicles, fried dough and red hots stands, and live music. Cold Genny and the cold pink wine, coulda stayed up there forever.

I love America.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-23-2007 at 18:17.

Guru

Had some Hirsch 16 followed by ORVW 15. The latter seemed raw and harsh compared to the former.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

Had some friends over for a BBQ last night and watch the Padres beat up on the Red Sox

After dinner we started into some old 1970's whiskies. First off was Old Taylor 86 proof, then Old Grand Dad BIB and finished with Old Overholt (distilled in PA). It was tough to decide which was best as they were all incredible and nothing like what is available today.

We finished the evening off with a few Stitzel-Weller bourbons. First was the WL Weller Centennial from BHC and then the PVW15. Both were very good but my vote went to the vintage whiskies. I don't know what ND was doing with OT and OGD back then but they hit a home run in my book!

Virtuoso

I'm starting out with Four Roses Single Barrel - the bottle is showing severe signs of evaporation.

I'm thinking Weller 107 for the nightcap...
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur

Just poured myself a glass of Bernheim Wheat Whiskey, on ice. Haven't had it in awhile, and I'd forgotten how much I liked the stuff. A nice change of pace from bourbon every now and then.

Novice

By virtue of trying something that I have never attempted (and searching out a good value), tonight is my first experience with Old Whiskey River.

Though I did not have high expectations, nonetheless, I was very disappointed, and wound up mixing a few 'little colonels'.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Guru

Elmer T Lee Single Barrel, wax top.
    I finally opened it last week, ETL I would say is very different from other single barrels I've had.
    What I mean is that it seems to be thin, I saw once someone said it had a "narrow range".
    I understand this statement, but I think it is very flavorful.
    I have been drinking it neat, haven't tried it on the rocks yet, but I think it will hold it's own on ice.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Right now I'm drinking Old Weller Antique and it's mighty good stuff.

I opened my WT Tribute a couple days ago and was very unimpressed by it.