Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How is Rye consumed?

Do most folks drink Rye as they would a SM Scotch or Boubon. That is straight, on the rock or with a bit of water? As opposed to a mixer?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: How is Rye consumed?

I would say so. I would think that the people who search out rye are even less likely than the average person to drink it without a mixer than the average person who might use bourbon and coke or scotch with soda.

Of course, making a Sazerac or a Manhatten or other whiskey based drink would be exceptions.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

While I agree with Timothy that, in practice, straight rye is most often mixed, I'd argue that it need not be so.
    Good rye is every bit as satisfying as other whiskeys when drunk neat/straight. It just happens to be a more forward mixer, too.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Absolutely.

Gary

Guru

I had always drank rye neat but lately I've experimented with Old Fashioneds made with Templeton Rye, WT rye and Saz Jr.

I've never cared for a straight rye Manhattan, preferring a 'rye' bourbon instead.

Virtuoso

I drink rye neat or in cocktails. In general, if I use bourbon in a cocktail, it'll be a high-rye variety like OGD BIB.

I don't normally drink any kind of bourbon, rye, or Scotch on the rocks - I don't really like when my drink gets over-diluted. I certainly use ice when mixing cocktails, but it gets strained out.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

I have gotten away from mixed drinks over the last few years. Hence, in my house it is:

1. Pour rye into lowball glass.
    2. Drink.
    3. Repeat.

Apprentice
    Vallejo, California. Just northeast of San Francisco.

Neat. And often.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by GoodDram View Post
    Do most folks drink Rye as they would a SM Scotch or Boubon. That is straight, on the rock or with a bit of water? As opposed to a mixer?
    Hi GoodDram,

I consume rye whiskey the same way I consume ALL whiskeys-- neat, with a side of chilled spring water (Llanllyr, from Wales, is my favorite, as its natural sweetness and clean taste make it excellent for cutting whiskey).

However, as I am a bartender, I have found that less expensive ryes, like the standard 6-year Sazerac, the youngest Rittenhouse, and Templeton, make a superb Old Fashiond. The natural spiciness, combined with the sugar, orange, and cherry, make a sweet-and-spicy combo that is utterly unbeatable, IMHO.

I hope you enjoy your ryes-- they're among the most under-rated whiskeys out there, and it would be a good idea to buy them while they're still cheap!
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur

I drink the Rye's I have neat. I will try it eventually with some Ginger ale. Some of my buddies at work love Rye with good Ginger ale. I can see how the flavors would work well together...I just have not gotten around to it yet.
    Todd