Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Which Rye to Try?

In my neck of the woods in AZ, I can't find any Sazerac Rye or Van Winkle Rye. The only Rye whiskeys that I can find are:

Jim Beam
    Wild Turkey
    Rittenhouse
    Rittenhouse 100
    Old Potrero 18th Cent.
    Old Potrero 19th Cent.

Which should I get to try a straight Rye?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Which Rye to Try?

Most likely I'd go for either the Ritt 100 or the WT, though I do enjoy Potrero, I don't think it could be considered representative of rye in general.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

From that list, I'd choose the Wild Turkey and Rittenhouse BIB (100 proof). Good values, good ryes, divurgent styles.
    Tim

Virtuoso

I'd add another vote for WT and Rittenhouse BIB, and the Rittenhouse is an amazing value.

The Old Potrero whiskeys have a very different character due to their 100% malted rye mash. I've only had the Old Potrero 19th Century (the one labeled "single malt straight rye"), and while I certainly liked it, the impression I got was that it was what single malt Scotch would be like if it were made from rye instead of barley.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

Wild Turkey Rye and Rittenhouse 100 are my two go-to Ryes. They are quite different to each other. WT is brighter and sweeter whereas the Rittenhouse has a kind of allspice taste to me. Both are yummy.
    Chris/Oregon

I have had the WT Rye and Saz Jr, and i am about to get some Rittenhouse BIB. I love both of th eprevious mentioned, and the Saz JR especially. My bottle was from Binnys hand picked SB selection, so I cant wait to try the Thomas Handy Rye.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Apprentice
    Vallejo, California. Just northeast of San Francisco.

I really like the Rittenhouse 100. Price is right and it's tasty.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    From that list, I'd choose the Wild Turkey and Rittenhouse BIB (100 proof). Good values, good ryes, divurgent styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
    I'd add another vote for WT and Rittenhouse BIB, and the Rittenhouse is an amazing value.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkluna View Post
    Wild Turkey Rye and Rittenhouse 100 are my two go-to Ryes. They are quite different to each other. WT is brighter and sweeter whereas the Rittenhouse has a kind of allspice taste to me. Both are yummy.
    I agree with the trend I am seeing...great whiskeys.
    Bob O.

Advanced Taster

Is the Sazerac also a 100% rye mash?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Old Potrero is the only rye known to be 100% rye. Straight rye whiskey was never, so far as we know, routinely 100% rye. American distillers, it seems, have always used a mixed grain mash, which is unusual compared to other whiskey-making traditions. It was probably necessity at first, the distiller using whatever grain was available, which may have been a little bit of everything. Subsequently it became deliberate, so while bourbon is mostly corn it's very rarely all corn and while rye is mostly rye, it's very rarely all rye.

In fact, whisle bourbon mash bills typically call for 70-75% corn, rye mash bills are usually less than 60% rye and often are "barely legal" at exactly 51%.

Basically, this is because rye is very flavorful and a little bit of rye goes a long way.