Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Which Rye to Try?

I would add to this discussion the fact that US and European Union rules differ on this. In the EU, to be called whiskey the spirit has to be aged for at least three years. Our unaged corn spirits cannot be marketed as whiskey there, nor can American blends.

The errata page for the book is here.
    Last edited by cowdery; 07-13-2007 at 15:18.

Taster

As for the JB Rye, go for Old Overholt instead. The comparison is somewhat analogous to JBW vs JBB. JB Rye is a bit young and harsh compared to the OO (as is JBW vs JBB).

But OO was not mentioned as being available, so I would then go for the Rittenhouse BIB for sure. WT Rye is very good, but it is also very similar to WT 101 and it might be difficult to discern the impact of Rye.

After a thorough familiarization with Ryes, one might later conclude that the WT rye is a happy medium between the two (bourbon and rye).

Taster

A point I might clarify is that just as WT 101 is heavy on the char flavors (from burning the aging barrels to a greater extent) the WT rye is also heavy on the char flavors.
    This tends to mask the "ryeness" a little bit as compared to others such as old overholt.
    WT rye is a fine spirit, but it might not be the "exemplar" of ryeness to those who wish to seek it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MGades View Post
    A point I might clarify is that just as WT 101 is heavy on the char flavors (from burning the aging barrels to a greater extent) the WT rye is also heavy on the char flavors.
    This tends to mask the "ryeness" a little bit as compared to others such as old overholt.
    WT rye is a fine spirit, but it might not be the "exemplar" of ryeness to those who wish to seek it.
    Whew! I'm glad you pointed that out. I've been waiting for 10 months for you to clarify that!

Sorry, just being a smart a@#. I noticed you'd been absent for awhile. Good to see you back.

Cheers!

JOE

Enthusiast

As I sit here reading this post I am sipping WT Rye 101. and I would also tell you that Ritt BIB is worth a purchase. Start with those two bottles and work around to the rest. BTW I haven't bought the Saz Jr yet myself. I did find in it in resturant bar and it tasted very good with a steak but other bottlings have gotten in the way of a purchase. I do however have some Saz18 and I like it.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Connoisseur

Quite possibly my favorite whiskey of all time was the Willett 22 year rye Doug did awhile back. Not available anymore, sadly. My second favorite was a Prohibition-era Mount Vernon Rye. Both of these were because of the extraordinary generosity of another sb'er (thanks Howie!). One rye I haven't tried but would love to is an old Old Overholt BIB. However, none of these are available for purchase, so I guess I'm probably off topic here.

How about the VWFR Rye? I had the '06, which goes great with food by the way (I had it with barbecued lamb - I was in heaven). Anyone tried the current bottling yet? I have a line on a couple bottles I may be able to grab in a couple weeks.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Advanced Taster

The more I drink WT Rye the more I realize its complexity. I have found that adding a little water or a couple of ice cubes really brings out the fruit flavors.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    How about the VWFR Rye? I had the '06, which goes great with food by the way (I had it with barbecued lamb - I was in heaven). Anyone tried the current bottling yet? I have a line on a couple bottles I may be able to grab in a couple weeks.
    I've had, with a little help from a friend, about 2/3 of a bottle of the 2007 "I" bottling in the last 24hrs and - while I can't compare it to any other Ryes (VW or otherwise) - I do like it. a lot.
    True Liquid-Love: Pappy 15 . Lot B . GTStagg . ETLee . VWFRRye . Baby Saz

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    The more I drink WT Rye the more I realize its complexity. I have found that adding a little water or a couple of ice cubes really brings out the fruit flavors.
    In addition, WT Rye is one of those whiskeys that benefits from exposure to oxygen. Fairly grassy at first, my bottle mellowed out very nicely after a month or so of being opened. I might even give the edge to WT over baby Saz at that point.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

I am sooo glad to have discovered the Ritt BIB ....it is my current favorite pour. Last night I was in aroma heaven smelling my empty glass ...