Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings!

Novice

Greetings!

I've been watching this site for awhile and just recently created an account. I've been drinking Bourbon for about 2 years. I got hooked after trying my first bourbon, George T. Stagg (Fall '05), straight. I'm still looking for my next pour that will be as good as the GTS.

Re: Greetings!

Welcome!

I am not familiar with that particular bourbon, but if you want to try a very complex bourbon that's not too expensive, go for a bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by zdevin View Post
    I've been watching this site for awhile and just recently created an account. I've been drinking Bourbon for about 2 years. I got hooked after trying my first bourbon, George T. Stagg (Fall '05), straight. I'm still looking for my next pour that will be as good as the GTS.

Welcome Devin! I have a very limited exposure to GTS but it has quickly found its way among my favorites. Maybe you'll find something as good or better, maybe you won't. But hey, it'll be fun looking, right! BTW, I just bought a bottle of GTS. I figure it's an '06 but I don't know for sure. Do you know how one can tell what year it is?
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

you can tell by the proof....the 2006 is 140.6 proof.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Guru

If not for the dozen or so other bourbon purchases I've made over the last week, I would have picked up the two lonely bottles of GTS hazmat sitting on the shelf of my local ABC. I stood there for a couple minutes contemplating but then walked out. I told the store clerk I couldn't believe they were still sitting on the shelf and he stated that nobody wants to buy them.

The store is in an area where I believe the local population are not going for premium bourbons but the typical JB White, Jack, Turkey 80, etc.

I'll have to wait until my pocket book (and my wife) can stand another purchase.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    ...two lonely bottles of GTS hazmat sitting on the shelf of my local ABC...
    HazMat (2003), HazMat II (Fall 2005), or HazMat III (2006)? The 2006 Stagg is still available sporadically around here, but the older two would be rare finds indeed.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    you can tell by the proof....the 2006 is 140.6 proof.

Scott

I do indeed have an '06. Thank you, Scott.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Novice

All of this talking has made me thirsty!

All of you Stagg fans out there---how do you prefer to drink it?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by zdevin View Post
    All of this talking has made me thirsty!

All of you Stagg fans out there---how do you prefer to drink it?
    Usually from a glass... although occasionally from the bottle (brown paper bag optional).

Seriously... I add a bit of spring water. It opens up the spirit considerably and the slightly lower proof doesn't numb the taste buds to the point that you can't fully appreciate the rich flavor.
    Last edited by jburlowski; 04-12-2007 at 16:31.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    HazMat (2003), HazMat II (Fall 2005), or HazMat III (2006)? The 2006 Stagg is still available sporadically around here, but the older two would be rare finds indeed.
    Ah, my bad. That would Hazmat III. Here in VA, all the BTAC '06 series are pretty much gone. The exception being one or two stores that may have a lone bottle or two. My brother called the central distribution office for ABC and asked them if they had any more Saz 18. They said they had one bottle left in the State. We made arrangements to pick it up of course. I may break down and go pick up those two gems before they are gone.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog