Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Talking Relative newbie; what to try next?

Hi Everybody-
    After a short trip to Kentucky last year I've become somewhat fascinated with fine bourbon. While there I tried a Hancock (President's Reserve??) and enjoyed it immensely. Since returning home I've had a couple of bottles of what I think is pretty good stuff. Now, after a second bottle of each for the sake of comparison (Eagle Rare SB 10YO and Evan Williams SB '96) I'm wondering what to try next. I live in New Hampshire and high quality esoteric bourbon is somewhat hard to come by. Here's a short list of some of the brands I'm considering:
    Buffalo Trace
    Bulleit Bourbon
    Eagle Rare Kentucky Straight
    Booker's
    Elijah Craig 12 YO
    Elijah Craig 18-YO SB
    Whaddaya think? As far as my taste goes, well, it isn't finely developed at this point but I've enjoyed the ERSB a lot. The jury's still out on the EWSB- still researching assiduously, though!
    I like it neat, never mix or add ice or water, ever.

Of the bourbons listed, which would you recommend?
    I've enjoyed perusing the forum here and look forward to your input.
    Cheers,
    EG:
    Last edited by Luna56; 04-18-2007 at 18:27. Reason: typo

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Relative newbie; what to try next?

Welcome to the board. You appear to be on the way. I'm thinking if the EWSB hasn't grabbed you yet maybe to not go to the ECs yet. Then again maybe that could shed light on the EWSB. The 18 is one that I really like but it gets its' lumps from time to time, it is complex I can't say much more than that.

The Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare should be straight forward and very approachable.

Bookers is never bad, I find that I take a bit of it at high proof and then give it a little water say down to 110-115 proof, it is a bit spicey.

I commend your being a neat person, but do try at some point a few drops of water in a pour after tasting it neat, it opens up and more flavors unnoticed before will stand out.

Again Welcome
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Ah, well the one nice thing about NH is the fact that they put their entire inventory online, so it's easy to check to see what you can get your hands on..they also list licensed shippers on their site, in case you would like to order something you can't get there.

On to the whiskey:
    The Eagle Rare Ky Straight they list is the 17yo, quite hard to come by normally, but they do seem to have a good bit onhand (you can check store by store inventory!)

I think if you like ER Single Barrel you will like Buffalo Trace too.

Personally I prefer Baker's to Bookers, but both are fine pours.

A few others worth trying:
    Wild Turkey Russels Reserve
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Old Grand Dad 114
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Apprentice

I am new to posting on the board but have been drinking Bourbon for many years. Before premiums were around, we all had to drink the "now considered" cheap stuff.
    Bookers to me is the finest Bourbon I have tried. With Blantons a close 2nd. I amazed at the depth of Blantons and the complexity of Bookers.
    Granted I still am going through the process. But those 2 standout from the others so far.
    I hate to admit it but you should consider JD Single Barrel (technically not a bourbon). I had it at a party and it was magnificent. The taste is Pecans and Bannanas Flambe surrounded in a donut of char.

Virtuoso

Wow, a donut of char, the images that conjures up... Seriously, thanks a lot for the recommendations. I know about NH's online liquor inventory list, it is mighty cool. The downside is that the list is absent many of the high end bourbons I see mentioned in the forums here, i.e., ORVW, Hancock, etc. Trying to find a distributor on the website has been a fruitless pursuit so far, will try to set aside some time tonight and plow through the long list of suppliers.
    In any case, have any of you compared the ER SB with the ER 17YO? Just curious, I enjoyed the ER SB a lot. Not super full-bodied, but very balanced, almost like a cognac. Any tasting notes you could share on these or any of you favorite bourbons is most welcome.
    Cheers

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

ERSB was VBT#39. The 17 year is absent there as of now.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Of the brands listed I heartily recommend Bookers, Buffalo Trace and Bulleit. Bookers is an amazing bourbon but should be approached cautiously or the flavors can be lost in the hot finish.

Guru

Cool Re: Relative newbie; what to try next?

Of the one's you listed, I would choose Booker's and Elijah Craig 12-year old.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Novice

I am new here too! Fairly new to bourbon as well having started my serious journey into the bourbon world a little less than a year ago. I do come here and read quite often however. From your list I suggest EC 12, and Buffalo Trace. Then maybe Bulleit. Save the EC 18 and Bookers for later in your travels. You can't go wrong with Wild Turkey Rare Breed anywhere aong the way.

Enjoy!

Novice

If you want to go straight to the top and don't mind plunking down a few extra dollars to go first class, I highly recommend Noah's Mill. I only drink mine with rocks or a simple splash so I can not speak for mixers (don't know why anyone wants to do that anyway). Man oh man it was very, very good and I am still thinking about it. Bought mine in Houston last week and haven't found it in Dallas yet but searching. Noah's is the type of fine burbon that you will want to swish it and roll it around before swallowing. A very excellent surprise for me.

An excellent choice but you might get spoiled early on.

Ain't if fun trying new burbon?