Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Invasion of the Bourbon Snatchers.

Another take on the Ten High degradation.

Invasion of the Bourbon Snatchers.

It feels good to stop fighting it. There is no pain. All you have to do is shut your eyes and relax.

Guru

Re: Invasion of the Bourbon Snatchers.

To paraphrase Bobby Knight in his 1988 Connie Chung interview, if it's inevitable, just "relax and enjoy it."
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    To paraphrase Bobby Knight in his 1988 Connie Chung interview, if it's inevitable, just "relax and enjoy it."
    Very nice chuck... a good straight, err blended read...

Wow! There goes that dog chasing its tail again. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

I don't agree with you blog Chuck. I do agree that the bourbon industry seems to be in good shape. I don't agree with cheapening up a product and changing the label ever so slightly so no one will notice to cover their tracks is OK. That like going in the back door and saying just relax and everything will be OK if you get my drift.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Whether we want to face it or not.

This is a problem that WE, yes US, created.

I'm proud that they have to put vodka in Ten High. That leaves more product to age for the good stuff. The stuff I like. The stuff I'm privileged to pay a premium for.

I lament the loss of lower shelf products that are pretty good and I will fondly remember when Ten High was straight whiskey.

Now, if the reason they're doing this is that the bean counters figger that Ten High is mostly mixed with Coke or taken in shots, then shoot them.

If they're making better whiskey by aging it longer then God Bless'm.

I just can't make myself believe that the bean counters aren't behind this strictly for the $$$$ and they'll just make twice as many of bottles of Ten High with half as much whiskey.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Guru

I haven't had any Ten High in ages. I don't care so much that the product has been cheapened. I agree with the thrust of Chuck's blog. But what sticks in my craw is the name "Ten High Bourbon a Blend". I know it is perfectly legal as Chuck pointed out in the other thread. But it is still disingenuous. A more upfront move would be to call it Ten High Blended Whiskey. Honestly I wouldn't care if the product disappeared all-together. That way aging stocks of bourbon would go to-wards other better labels.

But calling it "Ten High Bourbon a Blend", may, to the uninitiated, sound like a blend of straight bourbons, sort of a bourbon version of a vatted malt.

I was in town earlier and the store had all straight bourbon Ten High. I wanted to see if the percentage of GNS is listed on the new stuff.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The percentage of GNS should be listed on the new stuff.

There is a difference under the rules between blended bourbon and blended whiskey. Blended bourbon must be at least 51% straight, full proof bourbon. Blended whiskey must be at least 20% straight, full proof whiskey.

So they are, in effect, paying a premium to use the word bourbon, as they should.

Enthusiast

Excellent article Chuck... thumbs up! BB

Taster

I gotta ask....on a forum that is populated with a bunch of Bourbon fanatics that can wax poetic on the literally hundreds of different kinds of Bourbon's that I've never seen or heard of...where bourbon's like MM, KC, JB and WT are "plain" or "standard fare" how many folks here actually buy Ten High for drinking?

Being a bourbon novice that I am, I haven't even bothered with the literal bottom shelf bourbon like Ten High. I haven't even tried Early Times....

I've pretty much settled that if I'm gonna get a bottle of "cheap" bourbon, I'll get the Evan Williams black label or JB rye (Yeah, I know, JB Rye is not technically a bourbon...but I like it better than JBB, JBW, and a few other lower-end bourbon's).
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am...