Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Incredible day of awesome find

Happen to stop over to Beltramos and bought a bottle of PVW23/A1136. It was not on display but after talking to the clerk about how he bought the last bottle of PVW15 yesterday, I started to ask him what else he has back there . Unfortunately, this bottle had a hairline crack in the wax about half around.

Swing over to K&L where I was invited to a private bourbon tasting and study group hosted by Tom Bulleit!! I had a very good discussion and lesson from Tom and tried the Bulleit Bourbon, which tasted very good for the price. I enjoyed it a lot more than the Wathen which I don't like at all and cost twice as much. I bought a bottle and Tom signed it to me!

Then later swung by a place that I picked up in my Garmin M5, and with only a hunch started driving and gave them a call to confirm that they had a wide selection of bourbon. I had to drive through deep canyon and curvy road to an amazing store with the biggest selection ever (many times bigger than Ledger's). I found some of the bottles I have been looking for except for the wax top Hirsch. I came out with a bottle of PVW23(#122!!! Had a note that it was one of the earlier bottle and had a higher price but I was able to pay regular price), two bottle of ORVW15 (yes ORVW and barrel#8 selected by this store), and in the back of the very top of the shelf all dusty a Four Roses yellow label. I really wanted to buy another bottle of PVW20 so I can drink one and keep one in the bunker, but their PVW20 was about $130. So I decided to skip it and maybe drink the PVW23 I bought from Beltramos and bunker the other two away.

The good news is that now I can keep drinking my PVW15 and once the opportunity comes, I will open up one of the PVW23. Sadly, all my friends are cognac or wine drinker that I am trying to convert to bourbon. Itíll be sad to open and drink the PVW23 all by myself.

Cheers
    -Hugh

Connoisseur

Exclamation Re: Incredible day of awesome find

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlam92 View Post
    Itíll be sad to open and drink the PVW23 all by myself.

Cheers
    -Hugh
    Well, depending upon your location........if my horse & buggy can get me there between dawn and dusk, I will be happy to provide you with some assistance!

Connoisseur

Re: Incredible day of awesome find

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Well, depending upon your location........if my horse & buggy can get me there between dawn and dusk, I will be happy to provide you with some assistance!
    Hahaha
    If you make it in one piece, we will definitely open the bottle and enjoy it.

Enthusiast

If you make it to Roger's on saturday, Hugh, we can surely make a dent in it.

Great finds though. I'd like to know what store within the canyons you went to.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Sadly, all my friends are cognac or wine drinker that I am trying to convert to bourbon.
    Some things are better left alone...............
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    I'd like to know what store within the canyons you went to.
    I am curious as well...sounds like a great place...and probably not too far.
    Bob O.

Connoisseur

So, I have been doing some searching and thinking about this. My GPS or yahoo has a lot of listings. But if you search by liquor, you are going to waste a lot of time. I realize quickly that the best searching tools is to search by "Spirit" and when a store is called "Spirit and wine" they are usually a store tailor to wine and spirit connoisseurs or enthusiasts. That's how I found this.

Lear - you may know of this already, if not you definitely know of the sister store. They actually have three but with different names in three different city! I was hoping to go to Roger's study group but this Saturday I am committed to a party in SJ already. I read his writeup and sounds like it will be fun.

PM will be sent. I don't mind sharing my findings since I spent many hours searching through this forum and there isn't much posting on stores except what Jim and Lear had told me. It is actually really fun and make enjoying the bourbon a lot more after going through this adventure.

Cheers
    --Hugh