Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Mash Bill

Virtuoso

Mash Bill

I'm new to this site, which I love and I'm mostly a Scotch drinker who is less experienced in the world of bourbon, so please indulge me.

Is there a list somewhere, on this site or elsewhere, of the mash content of various bourbons? I have found that I really enjoy a bourbon with a high rye content a la Buffalo Trace.

If no such list exists, can someone please suggest some bourbons with a lot of rye?

I'd also be interested in knowing which bourbons are heavy on the wheat for comparison.

Thanks so much.

Virtuoso

Re: Mash Bill

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    I'm new to this site, which I love and I'm mostly a Scotch drinker who is less experienced in the world of bourbon, so please indulge me.

Is there a list somewhere, on this site or elsewhere, of the mash content of various bourbons? I have found that I really enjoy a bourbon with a high rye content a la Buffalo Trace.
    One of the things that can be counterintuitive in bourbon is that so much of the final character occurs in the barrel, not the still. According to forum members who work at BT, Buffalo Trace is actually the low rye recipe, which is the same as Old Charter, one of the lowest in the industry. Buffalo Trace does have a very pleasant rye bite to it in my opinion, but I would guess that's from the barrels they select for the brand.

There's a discussion of mashbills in this thread .

Based on information I've read about how much more character is imparted by the barrel/rickhouse position than the still, I wonder if it's even the case that brands such as ET Lee and Eagle Rare could be either low or high rye mash barrels, with the decision coming at bottling time?

Roger

Virtuoso

Re: Mash Bill

Old Grand-Dad and Bulleit have high-rye mash bills, and OGD is available in 86, 100, and 114 proof. Don't forget to try some straight rye as well - Sazerac 6yo, Rittenhouse BIB, and Wild Turkey Rye are favorites of mine.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!