Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

No bourbon tonight, beer tasting

I had some beers to review tonight so will forego the usual bourbon dram. I'm tasting an organic beer, a Pale Ale from Fish Brewing in Olymia, Washington. Not something your going to find at the local Quikie Mart.
    This is a tasty Pale Ale that has a nice balance between the hops and malt. They don't go overboard like so many N.W. breweries with the Cascade Hops which happen to be quite bitter. Anyway I enjoyed more than the average craft brew and if you ever see it on display give it a try. It is called "Fish Tale Organic Wid Salmon Pale Ale". They say that part of the proceeds go toward saving wild salmon. So I can suck down a tasty cold one and help salmon at the same time. What a deal! Not bad at all. Recommended.

Guru

Re: No bourbon tonight, beer tasting

Quote Originally Posted by Barkley View Post
    So I can suck down a tasty cold one and help salmon at the same time. What a deal! Not bad at all. Recommended.
    You just need yourself some good smoked salmon to go with it and you would complete the circle of life

Enthusiast

Fresh wild salmon,the best there is with or without beer.
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Connoisseur

I picked up a bottle with a picture of Frank Zappa on it last week. What should I eat with that?
    Craig

Virtuoso

I don't know, but I can tell you what not to eat with a Frank Zappa beer, even though it's readily available this time of year.

Last night I stopped by a beer bar in Indiana, and I hold another sb.com member completely responsible for introducing it to me. It's not just a microbrewery; they also have a lot of guest beers from all over the place, and the food is pretty tasty, too. Oh, and the place is full of friendly people. The wimpiest beer they make is a dark one.

I have far too many things to do without having to drive to Indiana to drink beer, but what's done is done. I'll just have to adjust the rest of my schedule. Or move to New Albany.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Check out the website.
    Gravity Head 2008 is coming up at New Albanian.

50 plus varieties of High Gravity beers.

Yahoo!!!!

http://www.newalbanian.com/
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    Last night I stopped by a beer bar in Indiana, and I hold another sb.com member completely responsible for introducing it to me. It's not just a microbrewery; they also have a lot of guest beers from all over the place, and the food is pretty tasty, too. Oh, and the place is full of friendly people. The wimpiest beer they make is a dark one.
    Guilty.

Also the gang there is looking into opening a microbrewery in downtown New Albany as well, with a small attached pub. New Albanian has gotten to the point of near overflowing crowds every night.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

I happened to finish the day in New Albany again this afternoon, so back I went for a Lightning Rod and another Two Hearted.

There's a print of a painting over the taps to the left of the bar, and nobody knew who painted it. I asked everyone. Finally I found the right combination of keywords (impressionist painting champagne oranges bar) to find it. If I'd walked over there and seen the two bottles of Bass Ale it might have been easier.

It's Manet's "Bar at the Folies Bergere". Now we know.

I won't be going back for a week because I'm on call.

Advanced Taster

Plenty of places to sample microbrews in Indiana...See www.indianabeer.com.

Disciple

When I did visit Louisville last year I didnít unfortunately go to New Albany more than only ones (thanks Charles for the only one). It did seem to me to be a very, very nice beer bar and Timothy (bar turtle) confirmed this at the gazebo by telling me it is considered to be one of the best beer bars in USA. This place is defiantly one of my highest priorities on my next Kentucky trip (whenever that will be).

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey