Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: opinions on mead

I think Irish Mist has some mead in it. By the way, the honey bee die off is of great concern to us all.

Connoisseur

I had some mead tonight.

It was a homebrewed cyser (apple cider mead) that I made two years ago. I have sampled only a couple of bottles, the most recent being a year ago. I thought it was about time, and that this stuff would be coming into its own. For dinner, we had a grilled pork tenderloin dry-rubbed with cumin, coriander, garlic and onion powders, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and a touch of turmeric; butternut squash puree with apple brandy and cinnamon; and a cabbage-jicama-apple slaw dressed with cumin-honey-apple cider vinaigrette.

So, we opened the cyser. It was spectacular. Loose tasting notes follow.

Color: Maple-leaf gold verging on amber. Deep, rich, honeyed hue.

Nose: Apples and honey, of course, but also vanilla (no oak aging, but I think the yeast strain I used is known for contributing vanilla notes), almond, lemon, nutmeg, and peach. Big, rich aroma that filled the nostrils and, for that matter, the room in which the mead was poured.

Palate: Mouth-coating, dense, with an initial rush of floral honey flavor. Apple follows, crisp and dry. The overall impression is sweetness, despite the fact that there is no residual sugar. A lovely echoing of the nose with the addition of a greater honey presence. The initial sampling was done at room temperature, and the remainder of the bottle was refrigerated (I find mead is best evaluated at cellar temp or slightly warmer, as chilling seems to drive off the honeyed notes). After it chilled slightly, the apple came through with more force, bringing citrus and a touch of pear with it.

Finish: Long, lingering. The continued sensation of mouth-coating viscosity adds to the effect of a taste that doesn't quit. Warmth and a hint of vanilla and nuts lingered.

I'm very proud of this. It is, without question, the best fermented beverage I have made and one of the best I've tasted. I have about 15 bottles left, and while I will age some more out to see if this gets better, I plan to consume ample quantities as the fall chill (finally, hopefully) arrives.

Autumn in a glass.

*sigh of contentment*

Boast session over.

Mead is good.
    Tim

Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: opinions on mead

When i drink mead i make sure it comes from some farms in the area instead of some industrial make.A good mead is not watery,spicey and sweet and indeed as Tim sez healthy.When you ever had some mead from a small farm you don`t want the commercial stuff and besides that you support local small farmers .
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Virtuoso

I am fortunate enough to have this place close to home. If your ever in the Mitten let me know we can stop in for many great beers as well as mead.
    If anyone is interested the do Grawlers so I could be convinced to send one out.

http://www.dragonmead.com/

Tony Curtis
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

the only mead i've ever had (if it was true mead...) was in Ireland, 2003: Bunratty (named after the place/castle i think).

sweet but not simple from what i remember. (nor too complex, either!) actually think they have it in my area. may be under $20.

there is a traditional polish liqueur based on honey as well...not a mead, though (i believe).

actually, i HAVE had another mead before. i saved the bottle. i'll check on it later.

speaking of honey/mead, i am curious about that WT honey that i just noticed last week in the liqueur aisle...quite near the mead!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    speaking of honey/mead, i am curious about that WT honey that i just noticed last week in the liqueur aisle...quite near the mead!
    This is what you are looking for. Its one WT product best left on the shelf. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=6142

Enthusiast

I`ve tasted Bunratty mead in Ireland and it is a real commercial product for tourists,in Co.Clare you have some good meadproducing farms though.Perhaps next time when you`re over there ?
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Advanced Taster

I've had some mead here and there, both homebrew and a commercial kosher-for-passover "beer" product. I'm not impressed, I thought they were like beer without the hops, kind of like a mix of Schwepps ginger ale and Schlitz. This "cyser" stuff, however, sounds like it would work O.K., but would it really beat a non-alcoholic Martinelli Sparkling Apple Juice?

Guru

While out and about yesterday I picked up a couple bottles of mead. A bottle of White Winter Winery strawberry mead (11.5%), It doesn't say it is specifically a melomel but mentions, on the back label that "Historically, Strawberry Mead would be called a Melomel , which means a Mead made with fruit added at the time of fermentation." I was looking to avoid a grape wine with added honey as a sweetener/flavor additive. It looks like this is a true melomel. Is it? I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of those with mead experience.

I also picked up a bottle of aged Polish mead, a Poltorak Jadwiga. Did I say that right? It states "aged 6 years" and weighs in at 16%. From what I can tell searching the Internet this is a desert mead, sweet but not sickly so. Analogous to a good port.
    Attached Images Attached Images