Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makers Mark VIP

Makers Mark VIP

I was wondering how easy it is to come across bottles of Maker's Mark VIP, the ones with the personalized labels. Are these commonly sold in retail outlets? I wanted to get one to commemorate a good friends wedding.
    Thanks!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Makers Mark VIP

Very easy...at least in Kentucky damn near every place that sells Makers stocks the VIP too.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

....but.... it's the same bourbon inside, isn't it??

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Connoisseur

Yes, I asked a rep at a whisky show a few years ago and he confirmed they only make one bourbon. So, the VIP is just packaging.

Connoisseur

Thanks Vange, I thought that was the case.

Don't get me wrong. I like MM but all these marketing attempts to make one product seem like something new or superior are kinda insulting, ya know??

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Connoisseur

Here's how it went down. I was a bit tipsy and I started talking to the gentleman at the MM booth. I looked around and only saw the red wax dipped bottles. I asked if they were sampling their premium product the gold bottled MM VIP? He then said, "it's the same bourbon". I then replied, "so, it's like $15 more per bottle for packaging? That's it?? What's the point of that?" He shrugged. I smiled and then grabbed a wax dipped shot glass and moved on to the next table.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    Here's how it went down. I was a bit tipsy and I started talking to the gentleman at the MM booth. I looked around and only saw the red wax dipped bottles. I asked if they were sampling their premium product the gold bottled MM VIP? He then said, "it's the same bourbon". I then replied, "so, it's like $15 more per bottle for packaging? That's it?? What's the point of that?" He shrugged. I smiled and then grabbed a wax dipped shot glass and moved on to the next table.
    Vange, I think the point of the product is to present it as a gift to commemorate some special event. You get it printed with some sort of name, date, special occasion etc. What's inside is probably irrelevant.

I would guess that the packaging probably is somewhat more expensive than the regular MM standard issue, if for no other reason than economies of scale in purchasing them. But, even with that, what you're paying for is the "opportunity" to commemorate something special with a unique gift.

JOE

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Yes, VIP is the same whiskey with special packaging. Is the upcharge worth it? If you don't think so, don't buy it. I don't think there is anything misleading about the way they market it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

People tell me whiskey tastes better out of a bottle with your name on it.

I prefer mine out of a glass.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Here in WA. the "gift" bottle is $4 more per bottle. I recieved one a couple Christmas's ago and thought it was nice.
    I have not done it in a while, but I have given several WT bottles away and both 101 and RB used to have gift labels you could order on line. I think the folks who go them enjoyed them.
    Todd