Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitters

Connoisseur

Re: Bitters

Yes, I would definitely not plan on using Fernet Branca or other bitters of that type the same way I use Angostura. Just wondering what experience people can share about quality and the particular flavor elements.

The idea of medicinal use hadn't occurred to me, but there are definitely times where I can see the benefit there.

Enthusiast

I`ve got some miniatures of Beerenburg a Dutch bitter based on herbs left,for somebody who`s interested?Eric.
    Netherlands

Connoisseur

Scored a not-so-dusty bottle of Fernet Branca (bottled in 1999) for $11 last week. Three pours later, not a huge fan. I enjoy it most neat. I tried it mixed w/ginger ale and as part of a cocktail (the recipe and the recommendation for G.A. came from some eGullet cocktail enthusiasts). The menthol-like character just blew away anything else I mixed with it. On its own, with no competing flavors, it was a reasonably good, though menthol-esque, digestive bitters, cooling and spicy and, well, bitter. I don't imagine I'll race through the bottle, but the price was right, and it'll find use, medicinally if nothing else. And, hey, it may grow on me. My palate definitely has adapted to enjoying many bitter flavors - in fact, bitter is becoming my favorite flavor. We'll see.

As for Fee Bros, it finally got to Dallas. Not the barrel-aged, but the rest of the line is available at Goody-Goody (not all locations, but several). Have enjoyed a few applications of the orange (not as bitter as Regan's) and peach (a good complement to other bitters and to wheaters). The Old-Fashioned I'd already acquired in MN, and they have become my house bitters (at least until my homemade bitters are ready - which will be very soon).

Connoisseur

mier,

Tell me more about these Beerenburg bitters. I'm assuming these are potable, like Fernet or Campari? I'm warming up to Fernet as an after-dinner drink (really helped following the bratwurst and sweet corn orgy of yesterday noon). I dig Campari. I found some Unicum recently (the first I've seen of these) that I'm anxious to try. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm into the potable bitters as well as cocktail bitters.
    At any rate, what would you compare the Beerenburg to (herbal makes me think Chartreuse...but bitter)?

Enthusiast

Tim,Beerenburg are bitters drunk as a digestive,they are made from jenever with herbs and as jenever every distillery has its own recipe you can compare them with German Jagermeister also the colour resembles.No doubt that Chartreuse is using some of the same herbs but it does not really compare it.If you like to try it let me know i have 4 miniatures ,i don`t use them and maybe you like to try them out.Is the Unicum you have a digestive from Hungary?Eric.
    Netherlands

Enthusiast

Don't neglect the importance of Fernet as an anti-nausea medication. Many barkeeps on the west coast keep a bottle under the counter for clients who start looking green. It's usually a free shot: quid pro quo. Customer gets a shot, barkeep doesn't have to clean up intestinal fluids in the middle of a busy shift.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

Post Re: Bitters

On the topic of bitters, I was asked in another online forum what drinks are made with bitters. I recommended Pink Gin as a traditional cocktail that uses bitters.

So, someone else posted a link to an article in Wikipedia on Pink Gin. It seems that bitters were not added to gin to make the gin better, but instead gin was added to the bitters to make the bitters more palatable. They were taking the bitters medicinally and mixing them with gin to get them down!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_gin

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    Don't neglect the importance of Fernet as an anti-nausea medication. Many barkeeps on the west coast keep a bottle under the counter for clients who start looking green. It's usually a free shot: quid pro quo. Customer gets a shot, barkeep doesn't have to clean up intestinal fluids in the middle of a busy shift.
    That's extremely bad form, Loosing one's liquor 'at the bar'. Luckily, I have never been witness to such an occurrence. Because if I had, drunk or sober, I'd be the next one to hurl.

Virtuoso

Before the Martini was corrupted with vodka (and especially before the term was corrupted to mean "anything served in a cocktail glass"), it contained orange bitters.

Most cocktails that I make contain some type of bitters, whether it's cocktail bitters like Angostura, Fee's Old Fashioned, Peychaud's, etc., or beverage bitters like Campari, Amaro Ramazzotti, or Punt e Mes.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur

anyone tried any of the other bitters like the grapefruit or the blood orange??? seems like a trend, but a good one to applaud!

i've still only had the angostura. odd that it can be bought in the grocery stores and not just liquor stores. 90 proof or so i think...

i am curious about hearing more on that whiskey barrel-aged Fee Bros. bitters...

but still, i need to procure a bottle of the Regan's orange bitters soon.

maybe that will make my OGD BIB sing something i can recognize...
    HUP!