Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Whiskey and Cheese

I always have loved cheese. I'm the type of guy who likes Cheese Wiz, Nacho Cheese and Velveeta though.

On a whim, I bought some Cave Aged Gruyère cheese. It was rather expensive but the words "cave-aged" interested me. I happened to be eating it with Wild Turkey 101 the other night and it was fantastic. It's similar to Swiss Cheese but on steroids. Anybody else here eat cheese while drinking whiskey? I know you're supposed to eat it with wine but I'm not a wine guy.

Here's the website for the cheese if anyone is interested.
    http://www.emmi-kaltbach.ch/english/the-kaltbach-caves/
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Virtuoso

Re: Whiskey and Cheese

I've enjoyed some of the British or Scottish cheeses with Scotch. Lagavulin with Stilton, Old Pulteney with Keene's or a Scottish cheddar are very good.

I would imagine the same would hold true with bourbon and some of the bold American cheeses that are out now, like Rogue River Blue from Oregon, Plesant Ridge Reserve from Wisconsin or Grafton's Cheddar from Vermont.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I just had a Sazerac followed by some good aged Gouda and unpasteurised Quebec cheddar.

Cheese and whiskey go well together, indeed.

Gary

Guru

Smoked Gruyere, and smoked Gouda are delicious accompaniments to any bourbon.

Connoisseur

We have a great pizza recipe from James Mcnair called Fire and Smoke. It has grilled Poblano’s and Jalapenos over smoked Gouda and white cheddar, its our current favorite off the grill. We have tried several different smoked Goudas, all with such good flavor.
    Todd

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    We have a great pizza recipe from James Mcnair called Fire and Smoke. It has grilled Poblano’s and Jalapenos over smoked Gouda and white cheddar, its our current favorite off the grill. We have tried several different smoked Goudas, all with such good flavor.
    That sounds awesome! Where do I get this recipe?
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    That sounds awesome! Where do I get this recipe?

When in a hurry we just use a pre-made crust...

2Tof Pizza Sauce
    2T Adobo sauce (from canned Chipotle chilies or more too taste. We add 2 T of the Chipotle’s chopped to the sauce)
    6 to 8 Medium-hot chilies (We use 4 Poblano’s and 2 Jalapenos)
    2-Cups freshly shredded White Cheddar
    1-Cup freshly shredded smoked Gouda
    1/4-Cup Fresh Cilantro

Roast the fresh Chiles (Grill over a fire until black all around and then place in a zip lock back to sweat for 15 minutes) Remove from bag remove skin and slice.

Cover your crust with the sauce, then add the cheese, then the sliced chilies. Bake per your crust instructions. Remove from oven and add the fresh Cilantro.

It's simple but has great flavor. We have tried a variety of chilies depending on how hot we want to go. The 4 poblano's and 2 jalapenos has been our favorite.

This is from James McNair's New Pizza Book. No longer published but you can find it on Amazon used. It has many easy and very unusual pizzas with great flavor.
    Todd

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Mmm...I foresee some homemade pizza in my future. Thanks!
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Apprentice

Actually Whiskey is good with a lot of things. Like smoked fish or Caviar.
    As far as cheese, I prefer the Gouda -Triscuit-bourbon, mix. the Other cheese usually begs for a Cabernet or a Beer. Of course Chedder and Queso is more appropriate with Beer. IMO.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

At the KBD Gala, cheese balls are a staple on the hors d'oeuvres table. They go well with whiskey on the rocks, I find. This is cheese softened and formed into balls or other shapes suitable for eating with a cracker or soft bit of bread. Bourbon is used of course for the KBF's recipe.

I once tried my own version at home with cheddar, paprika, butter, bourbon and chives and it was great. Using a blender makes it easy to do.

Gary