Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Whiskey and Cheese

I always have loved cheese. I'm the type of guy who likes Cheese Wiz, Nacho Cheese and Velveeta though.

On a whim, I bought some Cave Aged Gruyère cheese. It was rather expensive but the words "cave-aged" interested me. I happened to be eating it with Wild Turkey 101 the other night and it was fantastic. It's similar to Swiss Cheese but on steroids. Anybody else here eat cheese while drinking whiskey? I know you're supposed to eat it with wine but I'm not a wine guy.

Here's the website for the cheese if anyone is interested.
    http://www.emmi-kaltbach.ch/english/the-kaltbach-caves/
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Virtuoso

Re: Whiskey and Cheese

I've enjoyed some of the British or Scottish cheeses with Scotch. Lagavulin with Stilton, Old Pulteney with Keene's or a Scottish cheddar are very good.

I would imagine the same would hold true with bourbon and some of the bold American cheeses that are out now, like Rogue River Blue from Oregon, Plesant Ridge Reserve from Wisconsin or Grafton's Cheddar from Vermont.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I just had a Sazerac followed by some good aged Gouda and unpasteurised Quebec cheddar.

Cheese and whiskey go well together, indeed.

Gary

Guru

Smoked Gruyere, and smoked Gouda are delicious accompaniments to any bourbon.

Connoisseur

We have a great pizza recipe from James Mcnair called Fire and Smoke. It has grilled Poblano’s and Jalapenos over smoked Gouda and white cheddar, its our current favorite off the grill. We have tried several different smoked Goudas, all with such good flavor.
    Todd

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    We have a great pizza recipe from James Mcnair called Fire and Smoke. It has grilled Poblano’s and Jalapenos over smoked Gouda and white cheddar, its our current favorite off the grill. We have tried several different smoked Goudas, all with such good flavor.
    That sounds awesome! Where do I get this recipe?
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

I've had some Swedish cheeses (courtesy of a nearby IKEA) that went really well as an accompaniment to whiskey, or (even more so) cocktails. Herrgård is a favorite of mine, and there was another called "brännvins ost" (a sharp, somewhat cheddar-like cheese flavored with aquavit) that is sublime. Some slices of these, with some rye crispbread, make an excellent snack.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

Wow. I often wrap up my evening with some extra sharp chedder accompanied with slices of a fuji apple. Of course this is paired with whatever Bourbon I'm drinking that evening. Thought I was the only one.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Taster

I was with Julian Van Winkle at Bourbons Bistro once, and he said Aged Gouda goes well with his bourbons. Not Gouda, but AGED Gouda...

AND....he's right!

Guru

Al the other posts are great recommendations; particularly the aged gouda.

Let me add my favorite: I love the "triple-cream soft cheeses (try Bonne Bouche or a good Camembert) on a bland cracker. ETL is my favorite bourbon accompaniment.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."