Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

Tasting Notes on EW 1783?

Do any of you have any notes EW 1783?? I used to drink this label years ago on the rocks and/or with added water. It was ok. Today I am exploring all the bourbons I can find. Currently 29 open bottles. Three times I have poured 1783. Three times I wish I hadn't. I am getting a nose that I can't identify nor describe. Obviously this carries over into taste/flavor. I do not get his from regular EW. I understand you can't taste with my taste buds, but if you can help me put some kind of term on this nose/flavor I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks...
    Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Tasting Notes on EW 1783?

I'd try another bottle for sure.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Agreed, but don't become too attached to it. I suspect this one is on the choping block. It's just too cheap for a 10-year-old in today's market.

Novice

Thanks guys! I found an old bottle at my Mother's house that had to have been open for 10 years. It was about 2/3 empty. I poured a small amount, tasted, and poured it out! Then bought this new bottle just to compare. What a waste of 11.00 bucks! Currently I have 29 open bottles of bourbon. I don't know what the top 5 are, nor the middle 10, but I certainly know which one is Number 29!!!

Advanced Taster

I have only tried a single bottle of this stuff but I think I know what you're talking about. Someone else on this forum described it as 'cooked vegetable.' I don't know if it's the yeast used or what because I can just slightly detect it in Heaven Hill. Anyway, I nearly poured it down the sink (which is something I've never done to a bottle of bourbon) but then decided that I might be able to use it for cooking.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I just had some of the 1783. It has a combination of youthful tastes and maturity. Even though it is all 10 years aged, part of it must be slow-maturing stock because the scents of corn oil and that "green" flavor it has are characteristic of young whiskey. But it also has good char and sweet flavors, it is an odd but interesting combination I find. I like it because I like whiskey that retains its distillery character, but it is an acquired taste. Some whiskeys show a similar profile, e.g., I agree that Maker's Mark shows a youthful, almost piney flavor, but again this is a taste many enjoy. I just had a OF 100 where (although in a different way to 1783) again I sensed a combination of barrel char and more younger whiskey tastes.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

It's hard really to put this together, you have 29 open bottles, that doesn't give us a picture of what you have, for instance if you have every single barrel made and all the VanWinkles that would get you close to 20 bottles. Do you have Jim Beam White label? Ten High? Do you have Evan Williams Black label to compare it to? 1783 isn't one that I drink a lot but I can think of 10 Bourbons I like it better than, so it's not dead at the bottom, which made me think you got a stinker bottle.
    One thing, if it doesn't agree with you don't force it.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree that bottlings can vary of the same brand. This is one of the good things about bourbon because it is not completely an industrialised product. A given brand is the result of a profile but also the specifics of each batch (or barrel if single barrel) which themselves reflect many variables. I'd try once more the 1783, you may find another bottle gives more what you are looking for. If not, Heaven Hill alone offers many well-priced bourbons including Evan Williams black label, J.W. Dant, and McKenna 10 years old Single Barrel. These last three have less of the distillery character I find in 1783 although EWBL has some.

Gary

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
    It's hard really to put this together, you have 29 open bottles, that doesn't give us a picture of what you have, for instance if you have every single barrel made and all the VanWinkles that would get you close to 20 bottles. Do you have Jim Beam White label? Ten High? Do you have Evan Williams Black label to compare it to? 1783 isn't one that I drink a lot but I can think of 10 Bourbons I like it better than, so it's not dead at the bottom, which made me think you got a stinker bottle.
    One thing, if it doesn't agree with you don't force it.
    Bobby...

Maybe I mis-spoke. This is a new hobby for me. This is what I have open.

1. WT 101
    2. WT RR
    3. WT RB
    4. WT KS
    5. EC 12
    6. EC 18
    7. Fighting Cock
    8. Knobb Creek
    9. Bakers
    10. Bookers
    11. Bulleit
    12. Woodford Reserve
    13. BT
    14. Old Charter 12
    15. Rock Hill Farms
    16. OGD BIB
    17. OGD 114
    18. JBBL
    19. JBWL
    20 ER 10
    21. ETL
    22. EW 1783
    23. EWBL
    24. VOB
    25. VW 15
    26. MM
    27. OW 107
    28. Weller REserve
    29. Rebel Yell

Are you saying that the four WT expressions I should count as 1?

Thanks so much for your help!

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I believe what Bobby was looking for is an idea about what your selection contained and therefore what you were comparing the 1783 to. For example if you were comparing it to nothing but top flight bottlings, there is little chance of viewing it favorably against them. On the other hand if you were comparing it to nothing but bottom shelf bottlings, it is unlikely that you would have had something that had been aged as long as this one.

While I would recommend trying another bottle- just because bad bottles do happen- individual tastes do vary, and just because you like bourbon doesn't mean you will like every bourbon. OTOH, this is not a bottling I particularly enjoy.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile