Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Novice

Re: Tasting Notes on EW 1783?

Well it's 9:30 AM. I just poured a 1 oz sample. It seems the nose I was getting that was so offensive is not quite as pronounced as the previous ones. It is slightly there however, and carries over into tatse/flavor.
    I'll keep it covered and check back a little later. The wife just gave me a strange look at pouring bourbon this time of day!

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Are you saying that the four WT expressions I should count as 1
    I don't mean that. If for instance you had VOB in 80,86,90,100 I'd call that four different bottlings.

Now that I see that you've compared this to Evan Williams Black, JimBeam Black and White Label, a Barton, Makers etc I'd say that barring a bad bottle, you simply don't like it. I will say this, you have ER 10 year on your list and I would say I like 1783 better than that, but I've never liked AAA 10 year much either. A matter of preference.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Novice

Thanks Bobby...
    I have been nosing and sipping this AM. I do believe that if I remember whence it came I can appreciate it for what it is. At this juncture I have only had one pour of the ER 10 last night. If my memory serves me well, which the wife calls into question at times, I would have to place the ER 10 way above the 1783! A matter of preference indeed!!

Thanks so much for your comments and information! What a great journey we are on!

Enjoy!

Advanced Taster

The Wine Enthusiast rates EW 1783 in the 96-100 points range, their highest rating. I have not tried it yet. 1.75 L bottles are all I can find of the stuff. I have been hesitant to buy the large bottle. Here is their description from 5-01-04:

The early fragrance emits subtle, almost floral/fruity scents of banana, matted rose petals, field grasses and marzipan; aeration releases deeper aromas, especially oaky vanillin, sautéed butter, deep-fried pork rind and buttered sweet corn. Palate entry is semisweet, oaky and honeyed; at midpalate, toffee and light caramel tastes merge with the gentle bite of spirit. Finishes lean, off-dry and regal. The best whiskey value in the world, bar none.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    The Wine Enthusiast rates EW 1783 in the 96-100 points range, their highest rating.
    That's why they're called WINE Enthusiasts!!!

Advanced Taster

The Wine Enthusiast rates EW 1783 in the 96-100 points range, their highest rating. I have not tried it yet. 1.75 L bottles are all I can find of the stuff. I have been hesitant to buy the large bottle. Here is their description from 5-01-04:

The early fragrance emits subtle, almost floral/fruity scents of banana, matted rose petals, field grasses and marzipan; aeration releases deeper aromas, especially oaky vanillin, sautéed butter, deep-fried pork rind and buttered sweet corn. Palate entry is semisweet, oaky and honeyed; at midpalate, toffee and light caramel tastes merge with the gentle bite of spirit. Finishes lean, off-dry and regal. The best whiskey value in the world, bar none.

Does your bottle have an age statement on it? (10 yr) If so could you point me to a location in the Dallas area that sells it? My bottle did not have the age statement (which, I understand is the newer version of the 1783) and I'm wondering if that was what the problem was. I saw some in AR for 10 bucks a bottle and if that stuff tasted anything like what you describe above, then I'm going to kick myself for not picking up some.
    Last edited by whiskeyhatch; 05-07-2007 at 18:45.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Novice

Martian..

Thanks for the post. I find the tasting notes interesting as that was the point of my original post. What is this nose that I get when I pour 1783? While I am familiar with fragrances mentioned (especially the fried pork skins and buttered sweet corn) Nothing jumps out at me! Someone suggested that a new baseball glove just oiled up might be it. Now that rung a bell. It's been many years since I had a new glove or an old one for that matter but it did make sense to me.

As for ratings, IMHO they are pure bologna! Based on what/who's benchmark? In this very thread Bobby favors 1783 over ER 10, While I am just bass-ackwards favoring ER 10 over 1783. Who is right? We both are!
    He likes what he likes. I like what I like! Both agreeing there are bourbons better than either of them. But, according to Wine Enthusiast it seems we all should be doing backward flips over EW 1783. Well written reviews are another matter. Ones mans opinion, one mans impressions I respect...that I enjoy reading as I have the choice to make up my own mind. Someone telling me that bourbon A is a 94, and bourbon B is a 87 indicating that A is better than B is hogwash! Anyway, this is not a personal afront to you my friend but rather the idea of Rating numbers.
    Ok the old man has ranted enough. Thanks again for posting in response to my question!!

Cheers.......

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyhatch View Post
    Does your bottle have an age statement on it? (10 yr) If so could you point me to a location in the Dallas area that sells it? My bottle did not have the age statement (which, I understand is the newer version of the 1783) and I'm wondering if that was what the problem was. I saw some in AR for 10 bucks a bottle and if that stuff tasted anything like what you describe above, then I'm going to kick myself for not picking up some.
    The 1.75 L bottles I have seen at Goody Goody (don't you love the name) on Harry Hines and Centennial on W. Northwest Hwy. may have a misleading label. It doesn't say 10 yr. old. It says "No. 10 Brand". I just noticed that the review from Wine Enthusiast lists the 1783 as 10 yr. old. Are we looking at two different products?

Connoisseur

WT did the same thing when they dropped the 8-yr age statement and went to "No. 8 brand." EW 1783 doesn't sell a ton, so some stores in Dallas will have 10-yo product aroundl, as it changed pretty recently. In fact, given the turnover I've seen at that store, I'm surprised they have newer bottlings (they had ER101 until you bought the last two Martian - incidentally, I bought the three they sold before that).

Look at some other G-G stores, especially the one on lower Greenville (where I recently bought the last WTRR101). They should have 10 year old 1783.

Advanced Taster

I'm sipping the ER 101 right now. Good stuff for the price. I did a Google search for EW 1783 and came up with one reference to a 1783 7 yr. old. I'm wondering if the 1783 "No. 10 Brand" is a 7 yr. old instead of 10 yr. old?