Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Tasting Notes on EW 1783?

The 1783 I recently commented on, bought by a friend last week in Florida, states expressly on the label it is 10 years old.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    The 1.75 L bottles I have seen at Goody Goody (don't you love the name) on Harry Hines and Centennial on W. Northwest Hwy. may have a misleading label. It doesn't say 10 yr. old. It says "No. 10 Brand". I just noticed that the review from Wine Enthusiast lists the 1783 as 10 yr. old. Are we looking at two different products?
    Thanks Martian and thanks Tboner for the references. I know the places you're refering to. My bottle just says 'since 1783' without a '10 yr' or 'No. 10' anywhere. Jeez, I'm wondering if this is just regular old black label.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    The 1783 I recently commented on, bought by a friend last week in Florida, states expressly on the label it is 10 years old.

Gary
    Thanks. I'll definately grab a couple bottles next time I see the '10 Years Old' label. Looks like I have something completely different.
    Kevin

Taster

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but there seems to be some confusion here about which EW product we're talking about.

The EW Black Label says "Since 1783" on the label, but has no age statement.
    EWBL is not EW 1783.

See below or check this link for images of the whole EW line.

http://www.evanwilliams.com/about_brands.shtml
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Taster

MGades, you may be correct that the 1.75 L bottles I have seen may be the Black Label. But, this label is different than the 750 ml. bottle that says "Since 1783" (7 yr.) and the 750 ml. 1783 bottle that says 10 yrs. The 1.75 L bottles I have seen have 1783 in large letters and above it the words "No. 10 Brand". There is no age statement. The price was $20.49 for the 1.75 L. The label on this bottle is confusing and different from the other two.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MGades View Post
    Forgive me for stating the obvious, but there seems to be some confusion here about which EW product we're talking about.

The EW Black Label says "Since 1783" on the label, but has no age statement.
    EWBL is not EW 1783.

See below or check this link for images of the whole EW line.

http://www.evanwilliams.com/about_brands.shtml
    Yep, I feel like an ass. I must have looked at it wrong when it was on the shelf because I could have sworn that there was something else next to it that was the regular black label. Likewise, the other day I reached for a Heaven Hill BIB and somehow ended up with the 80 proof when I got home. I need to be more careful.
    Kevin

Taster

Yeah...the labels are deceiving.....if we read it close the BOTH say "since 1783" except the what-we-are-calling "1783" should probably be called "Evan Williams 10 year old" That distinguishes from the Evan Williams black label that was "Evan Seven" and now "Evan Something"

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Do any of you have any notes EW 1783??
    Canned apsparagus. One of the worst bourbons I have ever tasted. I am a fan of HH whiskey, but this one is an anomaly. Admittedly, it has been about 4 years since I've had any, but it made such a bad impression on me I wouldn't take it if they were giving it away.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Advanced Taster

I recently purchased a bottle of this stuff. It is labled 'No. 10 Brand' and does not have the '10 Year Old' age statement. I'm the dumbass above who got it confused with the Evan Williams Black Label. For the record, I really, really like the 1783. I hope that I will someday locate a wayward bottle with the old '10 Year Old' statement, but man, this stuff cost me just a bit above 10 bucks. And it's good! This just may be a new daily. I can't detect a strange aroma in this whiskey (which, I think, was the original catalyst for this thread). I think the 1783 is almost as good as EC 12 yo, but half the price. Anyway, I and my pocketbook would like to thank Heaven Hill for this very nice bourbon.
    Kevin