Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

What would you buy?

If you were in Kentucky at the moment, what would you buy? (This could extend to products available elsewhere). Here is my current list, in fact it is in my wallet for my next trip to Louisville and Bardstown (not sure when that will be, but maybe sometime later in June):

- 'garnet red" EC 12
    - 375 ml Weller 107 proof with bar code on front
    - VG 90 (The Fox)
    - Rare Breed
    - Four Roses
    - Tom Moore BIB
    - ORVW 12 years old (or the 10).

Gary

Guru

Re: What would you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    - 'garnet red" EC 12
    -

Gary
    What is the "garnet red" version of EC12?
    ovh

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

If you were in Kentucky at the moment, what would you buy? (This could extend to products available elsewhere).
    That's easy (sort of).... I'm limited to 6 x 700ml bottles that I can bring back into Australia without paying tax (that's 3 bottles per person - 3 for me and 3 for my wife)
    Next year I hope to get -
    1x Pappy 23
    1x Pappy 20
    1x Bernheim Wheat Whiskey
    and 3 more bottles of anything else that I find I like (and isn't available in Australia)

The garnet red EC 12 is my own, unofficial designation for an EC 12 I tasted recently from current stocks whose colour seemed unsually reddish and whose taste was the best I've ever had in that brand (and amongst the best bourbon I've ever had, period). I am looking for similar on my next forays.

Gary

Connoisseur

I would go for any bonded products, esp. those not normally seen outside of KY. VOB BIB comes immediately to mind, though I know you've mentioned not particularly loving Barton whiskey.

Also, I'd likely try to pick up AAA 10yo.

Administrator in exile

Good list of bourbons Gary. You might have some difficulty finding the 90 proof VG in KY. I have never seen this anywhere, which is a shame because I really like this bourbon. Have you seen it on a shelf here?
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    The garnet red EC 12 is my own, unofficial designation for an EC 12 I tasted recently from current stocks whose colour seemed unsually reddish and whose taste was the best I've ever had in that brand (and amongst the best bourbon I've ever had, period). I am looking for similar on my next forays.

Gary
    Sounds extremely interesting! I'm a fan of Elijah Craig 12 and 18. I'll have to keep a sharp eye out for this one.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Good list of bourbons Gary. You might have some difficulty finding the 90 proof VG in KY. I have never seen this anywhere, which is a shame because I really like this bourbon. Have you seen it on a shelf here?
    Jeff, I am almost positive (I would be 100% positive, but burned some grey cells at the Sampler ) I saw at least 1 bottle at the North location of Chuck's in Bowling Green last week.

JOE

Hi Jeff, I'm almost sure I saw it at Liquor Barn recently. I did see the white label 80 but unless memory is playing tricks I thought I saw its bigger brother too. (Could it have been at Toddy's? I know I saw it on my recent trip).

This list of bourbons by the way reflects not an ultimate list, but just what I want to buy next.

Gary

Connoisseur

Interesting question Gary, because I find myself deciding what I want from the list of what is available here in Ohio. While we are getting better, there are still holes. BUT - the choices are good enough that I'm happy. I can find WT Rye, KS and RB. All of the Beam SB collection. Blantons. Even saw Buffalo Trace the other day. Several others that escape memory.

Your question hinges more on 'what do I want I can't find here..... I guess the three I've heard good things about but not found are AA 10 yr, Old Forester 100 and Four Roses....

Cheers,

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "