Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Re: Bourbon gift for groomsmen

Men!

Most places that do engraving can engrave glassware, or at least send it out to be engraved for you.

Most malls have a little store called "things remembered"....that's what they do.....sell and create keepsakes

Reidel spirit glasses are probably too thin to send to an engraver, however, they engrave their own glasses and I'm assuming a "special order" can get you exactly what you want right from the manufacturer.

If you purchase your own glasses to take for engraving.....a smart man would purchase and send a few extra's.....just incase they broke a few, or flawed a few in the process I'd also get a heavier type glass to do this.

As a side note, surely your bride has established a relationship with a bridal store. They do this kind of stuff on a send out basis too. But it'll cost you more money than doing it yourself!

Dawn

Advanced Taster

Might I add to the already excellent list of ideas...

A nice flask, perhaps in brushed stainless? Perhaps wrapped in a nicely tooled leather?
    Listerine bottles are also quite durable and hold markings from a sharpie marker rather well...
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

You could have them engraved with each man's name or initials along with, perhaps, the date of your spine removal... er, uh, wedding.

For the record, I have been happily married 15 years this August, and my wife thinks that joke is funny... old, but funny.

Maybe along with each flask, a bottle of each man's favorite whisk(e)y?

~tp

I would suggest Blantons. It has great presentation (very nice bottle) and is a positively fantastic bourbon. I would rather have a nice bourbon than a flask or any related gift.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Connoisseur

I was married 22 years ago. My best man gave me and all my groomsmen (we all grew up together) engraved pewter shot glasses. Many things’ have come and gone in those years, but I've still got the shot glass. In my nostalgic moments I do enjoy a little drink from it as I ponder where all the time has gone and how quickly it has all passed.
    It has brought a smile to my face on several occasions. It's durable, easy to care for and takes up little room as the decor and homes have changed over the years.
    A bottle is nice, but I like the idea of something that last's, just like your marriage will! 20 years from now you can call your buddies and share a shot no matter where you have moved.
    Todd

I found a supplier of glencarin glasses that will hand etch them. However said supplier is in scotland so I'm still looking.

again thanks for all the suggestions. I'm probably going to go with etched glasses of some variety and nice bottles of bourbon which likely won't be personalized.

The Maker's Mark VIP bottles are pretty cool, I am after one to give to my best friend for his wedding next year. It would make a great keepsake.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Enthusiast

I was just at a wedding and our groomsmen gift was a two finger SS cigar holder, 1 side had a cylinder that held 2oz of booze, other side was a cigar. Baker's in the flask, good cigar on the other side. We drank and smoked 'em at the reception. It was also engraved with out initials. Bad part is it's now empty

Quote Originally Posted by Phischy View Post
    I was just at a wedding and our groomsmen gift was a two finger SS cigar holder, 1 side had a cylinder that held 2oz of booze, other side was a cigar. Baker's in the flask, good cigar on the other side. We drank and smoked 'em at the reception. It was also engraved with out initials. Bad part is it's now empty
    I've seen that cigar holder in my groomsmen gift travels. I think I'm going to go to my local liquor super stores (Sam's Wine or binny's) today and try and decide on a bourbon.

An ever nicer gift to some really nice degree would have been an etched bottle of Bourbon, personalized ,with matching glasses. It is a quite simple process (deep sand blasting) with amazing aesthetic effects of deep carving. I am not sure that I have a picture of a groomsman bourbon bottle but can give you an idea of what to look for. It should also be fairly affordable with a real luxury feel.

While looking for pictures (on this computer) I couldn't find any whisk(e)y bottles that were groomsman gifts, but did find a wine bottle(s). You can see there are differences in effects. I like both types, but where whiskies are concerned I like plain etched, especially if there is a back lighting source.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by creativeglass; 02-28-2008 at 16:46.

Guru

Listen to Dawn
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.