Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

BT's micro still and custom distillation program

Today's press release had the most amazing line in it:
    a ground breaking custom distillation program for consumers and connoisseurs of fine spirits
    If BT had asked me to make up a quote that they would then make happen, I doubt I could have written anything cooler!

It looks like Buffalo Trace is really ready to get out of the "distill for the bargain brands and select the best barrels for premium brands" outlook that has characterized the bourbon industry.

In a climate where sales don't grow in amount of alcohol so much as amount people are willing to pay for better and more interesting releases, it seems to make perfect sense.

I look forward to rewarding them monetarily.

Roger

Taster

Re: BT's micro still and custom distillation program

My admiration for BT continues to grow. How do you think they'll handle warehousing...will you be able to request specific sections of specific warehouses? I can imagine a run on real estate in Warehouse H

Hmm, since they're not restricting it to whiskeys, I wonder if anyone will ask them to custom-distill an absinthe.
    Dave

Connoisseur

Not quite sure I really understand all of the implications, but it certainly sounds like a good thing.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I wish I knew how to do to women what BT knows how to do to bourbon enthusiasts.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I wish I knew how to do to women what BT knows how to do to bourbon enthusiasts.
    You mean treat them like gold??? You can do that Chuck. I'm sure of it.

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Enthusiast

Ken Weber mentioned they might do something like this while I was getting the 'back lot' tour last spring. Here is a picture of the yeast room that he said would make great little mash tanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by oldironstomach View Post

Hmm, since they're not restricting it to whiskeys, I wonder if anyone will ask them to custom-distill an absinthe.
    Since the Wormwood in it is illegal, I don't think we'll get real absinthe. BUT, I think The Sazaerac Company distills and bottles HerbSaint ( which is the american made version of this) I could be wrong though.
    Joe

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Joeluka View Post
    Since the Wormwood in it is illegal, I don't think we'll get real absinthe. BUT, I think The Sazaerac Company distills and bottles HerbSaint ( which is the american made version of this) I could be wrong though.
    Actually they just announced that there is an Absinthe that will be legally imported into the country soon. I can't find the article, I think it was one of Yahoo's "Featured" stories recently, but the chemical that caused it to be banned...thujone, is apparently present in such low quantities that it has been approved for importation. Sorry I can't find the article.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Buffalo Trace does make HerbSaint, as well as some other similar products, at the Frankfort distillery.

Absinthe is much like gin, in that it is grain neutral spirit infused with herbs and other plant materials, although I believe it also contains sweetener, making it a liqueur.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Absinthe is much like gin, in that it is grain neutral spirit infused with herbs and other plant materials, although I believe it also contains sweetener, making it a liqueur.
    If I understand the articles correctly on Ted Breaux and his work with period absinthe stills, those wormwood infusions for which recipes have floated around for years are not proper absinthe. True absinthe, as manufactured by Pernod and others throughout the 19th C and as made today by Breaux, Versinthe and others, requires distillation of the macerated herbal extract, producing a very different distribution of chemical components in the finished liquor.

Herbsaint, like modern Pernod, is an anisette substitute for the real thing. I keep a bottle on hand for making Sazeracs, but as pastis goes, it's rather harsh for sipping.

But I digress. Bring on the microwhiskey experiments!
    Dave