Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: BT's micro still and custom distillation program

You are correct, but so was I. It's really a two-step process. The plant materials are infused into the spirit, which is then redistilled. I was visualizing it, but didn't express it correctly. There are some flavored GNS products that are merely infusions but you're right, absinthe is redistilled. My bad.

Taster

I can imagine this project leading to some very interesting things down the road. I wonder how the costs would break down between distillation, barreling, warehousing, and bottling? I'm looking forward to further news and details.

A picture of one of the stills in the BT micro distillery operation. (Photo from BT.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast

I think that's the only still too. A good picture they gave you, it is tough getting a shot with all that backlighting. I got a tour from Mark Brown of theat area during the festival. He is quite enthusiastic about it. Harlan is still getting everything hooked up and then needs to do at least a few test runs to get the hang of the equipment. Mark said the general idea was to allow the customer to specify grains, recipe, distillation and entry proofs, etc. Most anything you want to do except you must use the BT house yeast. They are worried about the risk of introducing a 'foreign' yeast into the plant. If your ideas sound bad they will advise you against it as well. You'd then write a check for production and warehousing costs and wait 10 years or so for it to be mature. The waiting will be tough!!

I need to ask him their plans about labeling and getting it through the distribution channel. I am guessing that they will do something like the Kulsveens did with their new Willetts label. Make a nice generic label where you can write in specifics, then only that label has to approved everywhere and multiple customers can take advantage of it.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

From what I read, the micro still begins operation at BT on 10-05-2007, which is today.

Nice work (again) Buffalo Trace!!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Virtuoso

Dang... I want one of those!

Hats off to BT for offering such a program, in any case. It will be very interesting to see what will result from this!
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Virtuoso

I was once doing some work in the Miller lab and got a tour (because I was asking so many questions, I think). They've got a regular brewpub-sized setup in there, but they've also got a tiny 40 liter brewery. I want one of those .

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Dang, that's purdy...

JOE

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Now that is a thing of beauty. Another gem from Vendome, no doubt!
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

What concerns me about this still is that it is neither fish nor fowl. It is a pot topped, not with an alembic (as they are in Scotland) but with a rectification column. This is the same type of still most of the so-called craft distilleries are using. Mostly, I object to people who call them "pot stills" as if they harken back to an earlier period, and BT has not done that. Operationally, I think they function more like column stills, which is entirely appropriate for what BT is doing. It's probably hard to make a true column still "micro" because its continuous nature would inevitably produce a lot.