I am not much of thread starter, but one of my favorite-must-watch-regardless of how many times I have seen it movies; Cocktail just started so I'll be up a while; but I digress. I just wanted to get some input on what has become a new (almost) love of mine: Oysters on the Half Shell. I first tried these a while back in Oregon and was left still curious. Well tonight I met my girlfriend, two of her sisters and one of their husbands in Huntington Beach at King's Fish House (more on this place later), a new seafood place in SURPRISE a strip mall parking lot; which is a southern california specialty. (Sense my disdain?). I am only brave enough so far to eat the small ones, tonight it was Kushi and Stingray. The Stingray were very mild probably what most would like because they were not too fishy. The Kushi were, well, oyster(y) tasting with a (finish?) that was kind of fishy and rich tasting and I really enjoyed these, so much in fact that I ordered a few more after the first plate, the gazpacho and the cod fish and chips with sauteed spinach and garlic mashed in place of the 'chips'.

I know all the fears about eating raw seafood and quite honestly that kept me away from sushi and these oysters for a long time. These fears as well as my curiosity makes me wander what does everyone else think about Oysters raw? For those who get to me me somewhat well it sn't long before you know that I try to enjoy any of the finer things in life that I can afford - it is what makes living it worth it, isn't it? Personally I think these oysters are kind of a sexy dish, they look apalling or incredibly arousing depending how you perceive them. And of course I have to know if you do enjoy these, do you have a bourbon that goes well with them? I tried WT, but it was cork tainted so switched to Knob Creek and that was really a good pairing I thought. I felt that there had to be a somewhat rye spicy bourbon, no way would I think a wheater would pair well with these. As I sip on OFBB I can't help but think this would be superb with the Oysters!

Back to Cocktail, how can you not love this movie? "I am the last barman poet / I see America drinking the fabulous cocktails I make / Americans getting stinky on something I stir or shake / The sex on the beach / The schnapps made from peach / The velvet hammer / The Alabama slammer. / I make things with juice and froth / The pink squirrel / The three-toed sloth. / I make drinks so sweet and snazzy / The iced tea / The kamakazi / The orgasm / The death spasm / The Singapore sling / The dingaling. / America you've just been devoted to every flavor I got / But if you want to got loaded / Why don't you just order a shot? / Bar is open."

As for the restuarant, http://www.kingsfishhouse.com/index.html I am very impressed, it is a small chain. Chain seafood places usually do not impress me too much if there is more than 3 or 4, but this one I can't say a negative thing about yet. Given, this was only one time but I'll be there again many times until they disappoint. Have any of you SoCal folks been here?

One other Cocktail quote "everything ends badly, or else it wouldn't end"